CBR1100XX.org Forum

Is this the right tire for the XX

N1K

Make sure it's not the "B" tire. They don't last as long and cost more. They are for sustained high speed of 186mph required by the Germans and a waste of money for the rest of us.

OK, you got me curious... The Metzeler Z6 has a B tire specifically for the heavier bikes such as the FJR1300. You're saying that the B tire is not any better than the "standard" tire for the 'Bird??? Curious, as I'm in need of a new Z6 rear soon and the "B" tire won't be in for another week.

I don't really know that much about the Metzler's, but the Avon "B" series and the Michelin "HPX" are for the bird, busa, and zx 12. The tire is made lighter and with less tread for less heat build up at sustained speeds of 300KPH or roughly 186mph. The regular Avon Azarros are good for sustained speed of 280 kph or roughly 174 mph. The TUV, or the german dept of transportation has made it where the tire manufactures have to make a specific tire for speeds in excess of 300kpm. I think Carlos has had an experience with the Avon "B" tires and he prefers the standard ones.

Can't tell you much about the B version of the Z6, but I can say the standard one will do you just fine. Mine's about done at 6500 miles, handled and gripped well, no complaints.

If you do go with the B, please share your impressions, I'd be interested in what the difference might be.

OK, you got me curious... The Metzeler Z6 has a B tire specifically for the heavier bikes such as the FJR1300.

From what I've read in motorcycle magazines a while back, the only difference is that the Metzler Z6 B tire is made with a stronger carcas than the "A" version, the first tire to have two versions for different weight bikes. Last I heard the "B" version wasn't available yet.