CBR1100XX.org Forum

Exhaust can, titanium or carbon?

Red J

I've decided on an Akrapovic full system for my bike, and I'm not sure which way to go on the can. I have TBR slipons now, and don't have an aversion to carbon, but part of me says that the titanium can will be more durable.

Titanium:

Handle heat better.

Handle small impacts worse (dents and such).

Silver color stands out.

Carbon:

Handle heat and UV worse, will eventually fade or discolor the resin.

Handle small impacts better.

Black color blends in.

It seems like a draw. The price is the same. I'd almost prefer the CF, so that the pipe isn't so noticeable.

Has anyone some experience with this subject? Anyone specifically with Akrapovic? Does their resin hold up?

J.

I guess I don't care about the appearance of carbon fiber, but the advantage I see is that it doesn't get as hot as the titanium could.

After a hard run, I can see the side of a carbon can being cooler than a titanium can. I don't know that to be the case, but I would think it so.

J.

I have the ti can on mine. Looks good and haven't dented it yet. Some people will say that the titanium will have a higher pitch to it and the carbon will sound deeper. Either way, they work well and sound great. Akrapovic makes a high quality product any way you go.

Decisions Decisions

Really it boils down to how you want it to look

Titanium is a bit more flashy

Carbon is a bit more stealthy.

Either way will stand out if you keep the yellow sticker on it, moreso with the carbon can.

I have the ti can on mine. Looks good and haven't dented it yet. Some people will say that the titanium will have a higher pitch to it and the carbon will sound deeper. Either way, they work well and sound great. Akrapovic makes a high quality product any way you go.

Decisions Decisions

Either way will stand out if you keep the yellow sticker on it, moreso with the carbon can.

I guess I don't care about the appearance of carbon fiber, but the advantage I see is that it doesn't get as hot as the titanium could.

After a hard run, I can see the side of a carbon can being cooler than a titanium can. I don't know that to be the case, but I would think it so.

J.

How often are you going to get off your bike and touch your exhaust? :shock: :lol:

Decisions Decisions

Got any photos of your bike with the Akra?

J.

Don't worry I had my bird all of 30 minutes.. Jumped off the slap from the dealership and stopped to grab some dinner. Going 85 mph for 20 minutes tends to get the exhaust kinda warm..

I got got off the bike and mentioned to my friend (also just picked up his new bird) that I liked the dual exhaust look :roll: while doing this and nothing thinking I rested my finger tips on the can :shock: I instantly burned my finger tips, and lost feeling in them for about a week :oops:

I would recommend using your tongue on the header after a good hard ride :twisted: