CBR1100XX.org Forum

wheel allignment, a new way?

Pete in PA

No, this is a different string method.

I've tried the run 2 strings parallel thing, very difficult, at least alone.

This technique is run an elastic loop around both tires. After playing with this setup I haven't had any sucess with it either. I think it's because it only works if both tires are the same size like some hardleys.

Or my wheels are alligned. :roll: I give up. I geuss I'll keep trusting the lines on the swingarm.

I remember a homegrown tool that Justin from the cbr list came up with. I haven't ever used it but it should work well enough.

Take a wire coat hanger...or any similar piece of wire and straighten it out. Make a 90 degree bend an inch or so from one end. take a small zip tie and zip it tightly on the long portion of the wire then clip off the extra part of the zip tie.

Put the "hook" end in the bolt hole where the swingarm bolts to the frame and then slide the zip tie down to the axle. Then compare that to the other side and you should be able to get your wheel perfectly straight.

Granted this doesnt tell you if your frame/forks etc is tweaked.

I should be cleaning the garage, so I welcomed the diversion-

32586165.jpg

Zip tie is white, and kinda hard to see, but that should get the basic idea across.

Thanks Tim. Thats it.

If you hook the bent end into the frame where the swingarm bolts up and slide the zip tie down to the axle it should be the exact same distance on both sides. If not your wheel isnt straight.

Now I get it... thanks guys.

So in all reality you would really only need to do that once, to confirm or not wether the swingarm/axle marks are correct,.... right?

It all depends on now anal you are. I have never done it personally. I just eyeball it. :grin:

I remember a homegrown tool that Justin from the cbr list came up with. I haven't ever used it but it should work well enough.

Take a wire coat hanger...or any similar piece of wire and straighten it out. Make a 90 degree bend an inch or so from one end. take a small zip tie and zip it tightly on the long portion of the wire then clip off the extra part of the zip tie.

Put the "hook" end in the bolt hole where the swingarm bolts to the frame and then slide the zip tie down to the axle. Then compare that to the other side and you should be able to get your wheel perfectly straight.

Granted this doesnt tell you if your frame/forks etc is tweaked.

Yeah, but that doesn't really tell you much about the alignment of the rear wheel to the front wheel, just that the rear axle is aligned to the swingarm pivot point. But still, that's probably close enough. If I had to choose one thing to hate about motorcycling it would be rear wheel alignment with those damn strings.

The alignment markings on my swingarm are definitely off by a small amount. Enough that I can't rely on them.

Brett,

Your suggestion is overly simple. I'm used to calibrations being exhaustively complicated with expensive equipment. :razz:

Seriously, that is a great suggestion, thanks. I usually eyeball it/use the marks, but this seems like a good way to cross-check the alignment.

Also, thanks for the pic to Peter. I should be mowing the lawn, so this is a welcome diversion. You know that old saying: Never put off till tomorrow what you can do the day after that.

Also, thanks for the pic to Peter.

Peter? Helpful guy for sure, but I pulled that one off all by myself :poke: :grin:

Oops, sorry. Been up working since 3:30 this morning. Getting the red-biked avatars mixed up today. :oops:

I'm just soo thankful that you all have reassured me in the fact that a 1 degree misalignment upon a circular contact patch is so important.

or

Maybe the misalignment has something to do with the rotation of the earth?

or

So is your rear wheel axis on a truely perpendicular plane with your steering stem axis?

:grin:

I'm just soo thankful that you all have reassured me in the fact that a 1 degree misalignment upon a circular contact patch is so important.

or

Maybe the misalignment has something to do with the rotation of the earth?

or

So is your rear wheel axis on a truely perpendicular plane with your steering stem axis?

:grin:

Must be all that thin air up there. Come on down here and breath some of the good stuff. Running lean too long is bad for ya. :grin:

What about the chain alignment tools?  Do they work?

Uh, they're OK... But you still have to eyeball it down the length of the chain. And... Uh... You... Have to remember to remove it before you try and ride the bike... :oops:

I think the coathanger method is a safer bet for me. :wink:

So you're saying I'm too anal,

No..... if that was the case I would have to point at myself too. :lol:

Must be all that thin air up there. Come on down here and breath some of the good stuff. Running lean too long is bad for ya.

Tell me about it.... , but then that doesn't explain Petes problem. :headscratch: