CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon tire splitting

The Krypt Keeper

noticed my rear tire sorting splitting after a joyful ride in the moutains :shock:

I have seen it on another riders race tires doing the same thing.. My digital camera is dead. But got some pics of his tire showing it..

I can email them to someone if they can post them up..

I know I was riding hard in the mountains but didn't think I was pushing that hard :???: Kinda looks as if I ran over something, but its on the left and right side at the exact same place on the tire..

Cold tearing?

Send them to me and I'll put 'em up-

redbirdxx@sbcglobal.net

I'll be around for awhile mid-day, so if you get them here before around 12:30 central I'll get them up right away. Otherwise it'll probably be this evening/

I had the same thing happen to me on two different Avon rears, but it had no effect on the use of the tire, and never got worse.

It's like the rubber bond has split a little or something, is that correct?

bike is a 2k2 Aprila mille he races.. He did that at VIR

Wish I could make my tires look like that.. :wink:

Mine don't have the balling up like that.. but have seen mine do some cold tearing before..

I got the little ripping on the left side about a inch or so long and on the right side just alittle bit.. :???:

Was curious if others running the AV46 rear had the same problem? I plan on going to the AV50 next go around

I've got a similar thing on the right side of the rear. Up unitl now I had assumed I hit something in a corner and tore it. More proof that Avon has some major QC issues.

BTW, my tear is about 3 inches long and about .100" deep. It kind of runs along the same lines as the tread.

Yeah Hatchman who the bike in the pictures belongs to, told me that a friend of his also had the same problems with their tires..

they both have stopped running avon tires and moved on to Diablo's for the track.

I probably only have a couple more trips to the mountains before my rear AV46 is gone. I will probably get 4500 to 5000 miles out of it.

Will try a AV50 and see which one I like better :wink: