CBR1100XX.org Forum

rear shockie rebuild

poida

the rear shockie on my bike has finally called it quits after 92000 klms.i can get a new shockie from honda for $550 aussie dollars but while i found it good for single riding,two up it was a bit too soft.i cant really afford to spend a huge amount of cash on an aftermarket one so was thinking of having mine rebuilt and a stiffer spring fitted.has anyone tried this or can offer other suggestions.

I'm sure a competent suspension guy can rebuild the stocker, but you can pick them up off eBay for next to nothing, so why bother.

Shocks can be recharged. My guy was going to charge me $75 to rebuild the 900 shock, and revalve if necessary, complete with nitrogen charge.

i can get the old one rebuilt for about $250 and then add the cost of an aftermarket spring(eibach or race tech) to make it more suited to the rough roads i usually end up on.was just curious if anyone has gone that way before.there,s not a lot on ebay in the way of parts here in australia so that rules out second hand ones unfortunatly.do you have a cbr 900 shockie on your bike northman

do you have a cbr 900 shockie on your bike northman

I did, and it's quite an improvement over the stocker, even though the 16kg spring I had on it is too light. Damping is much improved.

That is the route I would recommend for you, other than buying an aftermarket replacement like Ohlins, Penske, etc.