CBR1100XX.org Forum

EBC double-H

matey_peeps

let me repeat the choir in that these pads ROCK!

you think, they stop NOW.

all the OEM pads were in ok shape, except the outboard pad on the left front caliper (the one that actuates the LBS). the bottom of the pad had quite a bit of compound, but it tapered to nothing at the front (trailing edge) of the pad. anybody else see this odd wear?

thanks joe. any idea why that one wears like that? gotta be something to do with how that particular caliper works.

from now on i'll be checking that pad every oil change. coulda gotten bad and chewed up my rotor. :wink:

I agree, my bird stops on a dime in the dry but it feels to me that in the wet it seems to take longer than the stockers did to stop.

I might be imagining things or do yours not feel as good as the stock pads in the rain either??

Although I've never tried a stoppie, I believe that you could do a one finger on the front brake lever, stoppie with the HH pads. Incredible stopping power.....when dry. Not much there when wet though. I still wouldn't trade them for the stock pads though.

I ride slow enough in the rain that just about any pad would do for me. I like to keep the brake lever covered anyway and in the rain I'll pull the lever a couple of times lightly when I know I'm going to stop. Not sure how much it ACTUALLY helps to stop but it helps my mindset :)

i was changing front tire & honda mechanic told me i needed new caliper seals as one pad was uneven. after new caliper & new ebc pads front works good. changed rear brake pads to ebc & now rear rotor runs hot like too much drag. any suggestions?

If the uneven wear was on the outside left front pad, you may have been hosed by your mechanic.

There have been several reports of this type of wear on the OEM pads and I would term it "normal". Most replacement pads don't seem to wear as quickly.

Did you install the shims on your rear pads?

If so, you may want to remove them for the first few K or so, to wear the pads down a bit enough to make room, then re-install them. A few people have commented that the EBC's were thicker than the originals, and they had a hard time installing them with the shims.

You definitely don't want too much drag on the rotor, or you'll end up either warping it, or hot-spotting it.

Hope it helps.

For what it's worth I can also highly recommend the DP (Dunlop) HH pads for the XX. A friend I've known for years (a machinist that works as a mechanic at a local dealership) recommended the DP HH Pads as he was really impressed with the way they work on his Supermotard. I'd read all the comments on this site about how good the EBC HH pads are, but after learning that the "book" calls for the same EBC pads front and rear, I decided to take a chance on the DP HH Pads as they use a different compound for the rear. I assume that maybe they'd allowed for the linked brakes in their pad selection for the rear.

All I can say after a 125 mile breakin is they are phenomenol. Good initial bite and I'm pretty sure I could lock up the front wheel with one or two fingers if I wanted to. Will probably find out once the rain stops. The rear has excellent feel that improves stopping ability without so much concern about lockup.

I also put on a set of Tomahawk retreads (sport compund) at the same time. I'm really impressed with them from a grip standpoint when compared to the Bridgestone 010 and 020's I've run for 42K miles. Price is right (about $147.00 delivered) and if they hold up for at least 4K miles I'll probably keep on running them.