CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil Spilling XX

Sk8boardIL

My XX started spilling her oil on me today. It only happens at very excessive speeds but then she's burning it off and spilling it all over the engine, tire, and my foot. When I ride her at sane speeds she keeps her juices inside. Not a drop at those speeds. Anybody had this happen before or know what this could be? :shock:

that's what I don't know - and none of the guys who rode with me. A rider in the back said it looked like it was burning out of the tailpipes. All I know is, it produced some smoke and spilled on the ground after she cooled down. I limped her home but she didn't lose a single drop after I topped off the oil.

Seems to be happening only at very elevated speeds.

Okay, which foot is it getting on?

Take care of the obvious first and make sure your filler cap and dipstick are nice and snug, with O-rings present. Then I'd say you'd need to move on- pull the fairings and try and determine the source.

the right one - it spilled from where you fill in oil. it was all over the fairing. Seemed like the filler cap and dipstcik were tight. But I'll make sure and hope to find some source of oil leakage. Could it be a leaking gasket?

Somebody else just had a CCT that had lost it's sealing bolt.

I second what Tim said. Pull the fairings, and have a good look. You don't want to take the chance of spilling oil all over your back tire :shock:

The problem area should be obvious, as there aren't that many things that can leak oil, especially on the right side. There's only the CCT, the valve cover gasket, clutch cover gasket, and lower timing cover gasket.

Other than that, check the lines to the oil cooler, and the cooler itself.

I'm hoping it's the dipstick o-ring. everytime I pull mine I never know where it's going to be. Attached to the dipstick or the clutch cover.

V65 did the exact same thing so at least I'm used to looking for it each time.