CBR1100XX.org Forum

Noise from engine

Hub

I just bought a 97 bird and sometimes when it is idleing it makes a growling noise from the engine. It seems to do it only when engine is cold and it does it very sporaticly. It comes and goes. it seems to come from theright side of the lower engine. Pulling in the clutch does not affect the noise. Bike has 29k and the previous owner run Golden Spectro synthetic. Noise quits after engine warms up and sometimes doesn`t do it at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Hub,

With those miles on it,I would indeed pop a new one on.I just did mine last night and although it wasn't growling at idle,it is now even quieter.Takes about 20 minutes and less than two beers.

Cheers.

Gene

I assume that CCT is cam chain tensioner. Thanks Hub

Yep, that would be it. Do yourself a favor and replace it with a X-11 CCT. I did and no more noise at all.

Ken

Honda, but they aren't available domestically, unless you contact this guy:

rockmeupto125@hotmail.com

Not sure when the next batch is coming, though, or even if there will be one. Might want to put in the Honda replacement (the newer ones are definitely better) to tie you over.

• 2 weeks later...