CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rolling resistance question

EVLXX

The rolling resistance has alot to do with your bikes overall real word performance. The less resistance, the farther and faster you will go. So... if you put your bike on the centerstand, make sure it's in nuetral, and spin the tire forward "hard" with one good hand... How many times does your tire rotate?

Now this is assumeing that everything else is in check. The axle shaft is at the propper torque, chain clean and lubed, brakes are clean, etc.

My XX will only spin out 1.5 times!

So what about yours?

What about your buddies bike?

How fast do you want to go down the track and how much gas mileage you get, all depends in part on your rolling resistance.

I know some dragracers who remove the dust seals from their wheel bearings and inflate their front tire to about 50psi to reduce their resistance. These are track only bikes and I wouldn't reccomend it for the street.

I find that if I stand up on the pegs and kind of bend over at the waist to get in the "Dave do me I'm such a whore" position and fart I can decrease my rolling resistance. I know, I know, I'm actually increasing acceleration but so what.

You can't do that.   Everybody has a different ability to push.  My hard spin won't be the same as your hard spin.  (don't even go there)

Or maybe you should just go riding!

The problem is my brain goes there all the time, pondering questions that I don't have the proper tools or money to adiqately research, so I have to settle for close.

Joe, your hard spin may be different than mine, but I'm not looking for an exact number, just a close bought-dat-much on it. In fact, your bike intrigues me the most, it's got over 100K on her, so I'm betting that you could spin out alot more than mine even though you may not be as strong as me.

Please....?

I tried this on my friends Busa today...... pist me off.... his back tire easily turned 4 times.

My other friend with the 85 FJ... really makes me mad... it turn like 15 to 20 times. Of corse he has 170K on that bike, so I expect it to be looser.

And as for maybe I should just go riding...... I do, but I think of all kinds of stuff like this every time I'm out, I just come home with more stuff to ponder.

I did go riding today.... I did.... now I'm thinking maybe it's the rubber in the O-ring chain swelling up and causeing more drag. :shock:

I find that if I stand up on the pegs and kind of bend over at the waist to get in the "Dave do me I'm such a whore" position and fart I can decrease my rolling resistance.  I know, I know, I'm actually increasing acceleration but so what.

Of course you know Scott...

If you screw a spark plug into your ass and light those baby's you could probably pick up an extra 2-3 horsepower for passing. :razz:

I find that if I stand up on the pegs and kind of bend over at the waist to get in the "Dave do me I'm such a whore" position and fart I can decrease my rolling resistance.  I know, I know, I'm actually increasing acceleration but so what.

Of course you know Scott...

If you screw a spark plug into your ass and light those baby's you could probably pick up an extra 2-3 horsepower for passing. :razz:

If I do all 4 plugs should I expect 8-12 HP ?

That would all depend on your diet.

You would have to go with a good chili or some baked beans. But you can't just use the stock beans. You'll have to do a few mods by adding some extra brown sugar and a good wing or rib sauce. ( I prefer Sal's sauce. high energy potential plus it's made with orange so it tends to be self cleaning)

You could also try Swampnut's wings but due to high liquidity it might hard to light and you would have to go with a hotter plug. the only problem with this is that anything that doesn't burn would leave the back of the bike all shitty.

:wink:

Well I guess it's relivant...

... now are we talking less drag in airodynamics here or jet propultion?

Personnaly I have found that onions and green beans make great fuel.

Is there an octain rating on that stuff... if so Carlos is definately above 100.

Well if you can't beat'um....

Just did it for ya Eric.

17.95687412302510101 spins.

I would say my axle and chain is very well lubed and the proper torque on my axle nut.

No friggin way! You are kidding right? I'm more in the same boat as EVLXX. Theres no way I'd get more than 4 I bet. Thats with a new chain this spring and 69 Ft/Lbs torque.

I was wondering along the same lines just while ago when I was trying to check for runout in my front wheel. My front brakes drag so much that if I give it a good spin it would be lucky to make an entire revolution. Is that normal?

I was wondering along the same lines just while ago when I was trying to check for runout in my front wheel. My front brakes drag so much that if I give it a good spin it would be lucky to make an entire revolution. Is that normal?

Um.... No, not for my front. I had my son sit on the bike and lean back, as to raise the front, and spun it as hard as I could.... and got 4.5 revolutions out of it. Now i'm a 200 lb. guy so you ar4e going to have to guess from there, but I think my brakes drag to much as well.

It was worse... I used to only get 1.5 - 2 revolutions out of it, but then I modified the rotors alittle. Not as much as it helped my dirt bike.... so I'm still corn-fussed.

But all in all this still frustrates me. I hate that slight grinding sound the brakes make when I'm just coasting down the road, I know it's friction, and I hate it.

I've thought about trying different rotors, I wonder if anybody else has done that?

Does any body here have aftermarket rotors on there bird?