CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon Tire replacement

The Krypt Keeper

I got my new front tire today. (well last week actually but no one told me it was in) :roll: I normally just rip off the the little package list thingy. I opened it and found a UPS sticker already to go, to send my front tire back to Avon. :shock:

It will be several weeks before I can actually get to a shop and get my tires swapped out. Has anyone ever sent their tires back to Avon? I know it will be good to send it too them to let them look at it and see whats wrong with it.

I was already at the trash can to throw it away, when I though about getting whatever as proof that I did recieve my new replacement tire..

i've sent 2 rears back to avon, but i've never heard anything from them once they've got them. i've called twice and i get the 'busas and gixxer thousands with 10k on em' story. then i mention that it seems to be a prob with the 180, and watch the topic shift. :lol: apparently the XX needs the B carcass, so i was told. only mileage will tell i guess.

apparently the XX needs the B carcass

Prices from Motorcyle Accessories Online

(13249) $151.95 Avon AV46ST 180/55ZR17 "B" OEM Rear Tire #4166717

(95152) $116.95 Michelin Pilot Road 180/55ZR17 Rear Tire #78707

(49356) $118.95 Metzeler Z6 Roadtec 180/55ZR17 Rear Tire

(60692) $104.95 Dunlop D220 180/55ZR17 Rear Tire #32WA30

(63730) $121.95 Bridgestone BT012SS 180/55ZR17 Rear Tire #MCRS3045

For another $30-45 bucks, they better last a long time.

My set of avons from www.swmototires.com were $226.90 (front $99.95, rear $ 126.95 w/ free shipping on a set) shipped to my door in 3 days. Take a look at their approval in previous postings. Got 6K miles on the rear (shot!) and the front looks like brand new with only some side scuffing

Mounting my tires (third set) in one hour... gotta go have some fun tonight!

Steve

A week ago today I replaced my Avons on the FJR (identical wheel sizes as the XX).

I was at 9100 miles, and well into the indicator bands, but no cord showing. The Avons are everything everyone says about them, both good and not-so-good:

Good: Stick like superglue on your fingerstips. Unbelievable in the dry, and just as phenomenal in the wet. Transitions are lightening fast. They give me the confidence to lay that bike over on hairpin turns a HELLEVA lot more than most tires I've tried (with the exception of the Dunlop D220, a tire every bit as good as the Avons except for there rear tire's dismal treadlife).

Not-So-Good: I'm of the opinion after many months of reading Avon comments on the various forums that Avon's quality control of the manufacturing process is still suspect. Although Avon seems pretty good about taking back bad tires, the fact of the matter is: tires shouldn't have to go back as frequently as we seem to hear about the Avons. Getting a good balance seems to be the number one complaint. I took an amazing 35 grams of weight to get my rear Avon 46 ST tire to balance the last time I mounted one. One poor dude on another forum took 85g of weight! :shock: That ain't right.....

Still and all, one can't argue with the tire's overall performance on the road, and in the end, that's all that matters. And getting the tire to last 9200 miles on a 145hp bike that's putting out 99 ft-lbs of torque is not too shabby.... :smokin:

(front $99.95, rear $ 126.95 w/ free shipping on a set)

Those prices are NOT for the "B" carcass tires, which was my point in the first place. SW moto does not list the "B" carcass tires in their online catalog.