CBR1100XX.org Forum

What needs to be removed for front fork work?

MR. WOMO

I've got a local mechanic coming by tomorrow to remove my front forks (sending 'em to Dan Kyle - woo woo!) and was wondering what "pre-work" I could do to reduce his time there. Removing forks is a little to "intense" for me to handle at this point, but don't want him to have to spend a lot of time doing stuff I could do for him ahead of time.

Also, in reading other threads, it sounds like having a floor jack to put under the bottom of the bike will work well for letting him remove the forks and having the bike wait in the garage until they're done. I know I saw one of you guys post pics of a set-up you had with a board on it, etc. but couldn't find it. Possible to repost?

Thanks,

Kevin

I'll be doing the same work this evening:

Suspend the bike up (using tie-downs from the ceiling, a jack form underneath (make sure the protect the oil pan by using a piece of wood or plastic hockey puck, etc). I use a jack to get it up then slide a 4x4 underneath to keep the bike propped up.

Remove the handlebar clip-ons and tie up to they don't hang there and get air bubbles in the system or possibly leak fluid on your tank or ding it.

Remove front fender

Remove all braking equipment from forks

Loosen front axle pinch bolts

Loosen axle and remove front wheel (be VERY careful not to lay it down directly on the rotor as this will cause warping)

Loosen pinch bolts in triple clamp holding the forks in and the forks should slide down easily.

Make sure to examine the fork tubes for ANY pits or burs prior to reassembly. It's not a bad idea to run some crokus cloth then Mother's polish over them to make sure there celan and smooth.

When assmebling make sure to torque everything to proper specs.

Hope this helps some...

Steve

One other choice suggested by a board member is to drill two holes in your floor for an anchor/lag bolt. One on either side of where you work on the bike, approx. even or slightly behind the rear axle and out far enough that when you mount a bracket to the floor on either side of the bike and attach tie downs to them and your sub-frame, they won't rub (too much or at all) on the exhaust. Then just tighten to lift the front as much as desired. Super stable and for added insurance you can slide a wood stack (or equivalent) under the engine oil sump. This set-up is cheap and so far is unmatched in versatility with me. Must have centerstand installed. :wink:

G2

• 1 month later...
Loosen pinch bolts in triple clamp holding the forks in and the forks should slide down easily.

no additional fairing aside from the front fender need be removed?

Nice! :grin: Since the fairings are truly the hardest part to remove on this bike :cool:

I just ordered fork seal kits from ron ayers, will be changing out the right side, as I believe it's leaked out most of its oil :shock:

Wish me luck, i'm sure i'll be posting questions. The process won't begin though until a week from tonight (i figure i can do disassembly the night before) - as I still am willing to ride her to work on air and springs :lol: