CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire Pressure

XXera

What I do is go by the outside temp , If its going to be 70 or higher I run max cause the temp on the ground will keep the tire's warm , on a cool day I run a few pound less, on a cold day under 50 I may run 35 front and 38 rear

On my trip in W.V. where we were in the mid 90's (way to hot for me but had a great time anyway) had the tires on max (42/42) during one of many water breaks felt the tire's, they were hot and spongie , never once broke loose

I have the Avons 45/46, best tire period

I was just wondering if anybody else is using this method to determine their tire pressures.

I run my Avon's at 36/38 cold, airing them up to 38/40 for long trips on the slab.

To me, they feel best at that pressure (36/38), regardless of temperature (ambient). Lower temps just mean longer warmup times, and slightly less grip. I don't push it too hard when the outside temps are below 60.

Just got my new 46 rear in today. Getting it mounted tomorrow. What pressure would you "scrub" them in at. I would hate to go down at SEXXT on a virgin tire. The dragon is the first bit of twisties that I'll hit with it new. For the way over to the dragon, thought about 38 front 40 rear. 36 front and 38 rear once I get there. Should I run a bit lower pressure til I get it scrubbed In? This is the first Avon rear that I've run. I usually run my tires 4-5 psi lower than usual for the first couple days but was wondering if the "variable belt density" construction of this tire would warrant such a process.

Demon, if the road is still wet, and those tires aren’t broken in, be very careful! It was raining here when I tried out my new 45/46’s and I had some major traction problems until they got scrubbed in. The regular wet asphalt wasn’t that bad, but when I crossed a large patched area, it was like riding on ice!! They’re very slick when they are new and wet. :shock:

Good luck.

does anyone here use the pop-up tire pressure indicators?

i see them in the back of the magazines and wonder how effective they are.

i think that the last ones i saw had red-yellow-green indicators on them to show danger-warning-fine tire pressures.

just curious.

brc