CBR1100XX.org Forum

Instrument cluster rattle driving me nuts!

jimmystartup

I've noticed the gauge cluster seems to be a bit loose when I hit smaller bumps and yesterday decided to do something about it.

With the fairings off I can grab the guage cluster and "wiggle" it in the mounts. There are four bolts holding it on and each bolt has a rubber bushing that, I can only assume, is supposed to absorb any shock. The problem is, there seems to be a bit of space left between the mounting tabs and the rubber washers. The bolts are tightened all the way down and the small space persists allowing the guage cluster to move on the mounting bolts about an 1/8th of an inch.

Anyone every have this problem? Could the rubber mounts be the wrong size (gauge cluster was removed at a dealership when the steering head bearings were replaced)? Maybe they dried up and shrunk?

Or is this just normal and I'm being obsessive? :sad:

I had the same situation. I just installed an additional rubber washer to take up the slack. No rattles now. :grin:

Ronnie Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject:  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

since my has this rattle too, that may be where this missing bushing goes  

That would be strange if all they did was replace fluids. They'd have to remove the instrument gauge to dislodge one of those rubber thingies!