CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sator or r/r problem?...my 1st time

Jaygermeister

I’m trying to trouble shoot a R/R or stator problem..

Quick question.... when the bird is running and you disconnect the positive battery cable will the bike die or will it keep running? Mine dies.

I have a volt meter and I'm not sure where to test and what to look for. I've done a search and still need help.

Thanx Jay

98XX

And if that weren’t bad enough we were going to meet up with two swim suit models and take them for a ride before their bikini contest at the Seabrook Beach Club.............................................................fuck

Did I mention I had to push the bike home last night a 2am.............. I’ve never had to push a Honda before.................................... fuck

Don't dick with the battery positive lead while the engine is running.

First, make sure you have a good charge on the battery. Turn the headlight on for just a second to bleed off any top charge, and measure across the battery terminals (engine off). Look for 13.0 to 13.2 volts. If the voltage is too low, charge or replace the battery before doing anything else.

Look near the regulator/rectifier assembly under the seat and find the connector with three yellow wires on one connector half. Unplug this connector, and with the engine off, measure resistance between these three yellow wires (three measurements); you should read a low resistance (0.1 to 1.0 ohm). An open means a leg of the stator has opened, and the stator will have to be replaced. Measure between each yellow wire and ground; you should read an open (infinite resistance). A short or low resistance means the stator has shorted out and will have to be replaced.

If these measurements are good, then the charging system is okay, and you need to look at the regulator/rectifier. Measure voltage across the battery (with both battery leads connected...) and the engine running at about 5000 rpm, and the headlight high beam on. You should measure about 15.5 VDC. Too low or high, and the regulator/rectifier is suspect. Check for loose or corroded connections around the r/r, and check your ground connections. Hope this helps.

Thanx for the reply jrdxx,

the only 3 yellow wire connector I found was the one that plugs into the r/r. I didn't get any reading on them............. eather that or I don't know how to use my new volt meter.

That may be a possibility. Unplug the connector from the r/r, and set the meter to read ohms. The meter may actually say "ohms" on it, or have a symbol of the Greek letter omega, which looks like a horseshoe with the open end facing down. Read between each yellow wire to the others, looking for as low a resistance measurement as possible. Any high resistance or open measurement is bad news for the stator. Also read between each yellow wire and ground (you can go to the battery negative terminal if you want). Ideally you do NOT want to read any resistance in these measurements; if you do, it means the stator is shorting to ground. Once again, bad news for the stator. Do NOT try to measure resistance on a live circuit, or while the engine is running. For measuring voltage, use the scale marked VDC, or something similar.

Ok ....... using the negative lead off the meter to the #1 yellow wire and taking readings off wire #2 and #3.

Then negative to #2 and taking readings on #1 and #3.

Then negative to #3 and taking readings on #1 and #2......

......... all six readings are .2 ohms.

The negative lead to the batt and then took reading on each yellow wire.... all three had no readings.

Then I check the battery with the motor at 5k rmps and the high beams on the volts were falling............ so if I did It right..... good stator bad r/r

Thanx again,

Jay

Also, you should never disconnect the pos or neg cable on an FI bike while running. I know that was the de facto test of the alternator in older cars and carbureted bikes, but not with FI. The computer looks for about 14.5 volts to work correctly. Which means it needs the battery and the alternator working together for a constant feed. If you disconnect the battery it not only doesn't get the constant feed, but it also gets a lower feed from just the battery. This condition could seriously damage the computer. Trust me, I've seen it a bunch of times. I worked at Autozone and that is the first thing they taught us in the training on electrical system troubleshooting. People would come in and tell us that they did that and now their car wouldn't run at all. It usually required a computer replacement.......BIG bucks.