CBR1100XX.org Forum

turn signals / running lights

MikeOK

I've been studying the schematic for my bike, and it appears that you could re-wire the front signals to work like a car, as in running lights on all the time and the signals alternate from normal running lights to bright for signal, instead of going on and completely off when you signal. Since the front bulb is dual element and the running lights and signals are on seperate circuits this should work. All you would have to do is jumper the BAT5 - PR - PL (I think). Anyone tried this?

I've also found a few errors in the schematic, nothing other than wire colors but I've found 2 color errors so far.

What you described for the front lights is the stock configuration. I'm not positive about the running lights staying on when you signal, but they should always be on otherwise. I'm guessing you're not the first owner and someone disabled the running lights before you got the bike.

I am the first owner, and they are stock now. The way they work stock is running lights on all the time except when you use the signal, then they alternate from full bright to off. The way I am describing will make them exactly like your brake/parking light, as in they will alternate from running lights to full bright instead of off and on. The front turn signal bulbs are the same dual element as the brake light bulb(s).

By the way, I don't usually sit around and read schematics for fun :lol: Yesterday when I was trying to get the stock weights out of the bars I accidentally hit the turn signal switch while taping the weight with a rubber mallet. I hit the turn signal switch and broke it, and I discovered this alternate way to wire them by trying to figure out a way to fix it with a .79 c DPDT switch instead of buying a whole new jillion dollar switch assembly from Honda... Besides I think they would look better the way I will re-wire them.

Okay, gotcha, I think.

So you're going to re-wire them, and the difference will be that the running light elements will remain on constant when the signal element is blinking, right? Seems to me the main effect of that will be to make the signal less noticable when it's on.

Just my take on it, and it's not like I'm preaching high visibility, mine are tinted damn near black with the running lights disabled :wink:

I think you are right, they will be slightly less noticable but I hate to even guess what that entire switch assembly costs. The front signal uses the same bulb as the brake so it should be the same difference in brightness as the brake light from parking light to brake light. I'm gonna try it as soon as I can make a trip to radio shack. I gotta get the convertibars on first though, will finish that tonight hopefully.