CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB- hard bag setup

Beginning to shop for parts for my recent project, which will be the rat tourer from hell. Definitely not looking for Corbin. Givi preferred but will consider all practical options. Looks/finish not a consideration as long as functionality is there. This is the one thing I'm willing to go retail on, but I figured I'd check here before I spent that kinda coin. 20-30 liter side bags is what I'm thinking, but will consider anything at this point.

Thanks....

If you're still on a bird, the exchange rate might make the OEM XX bags from Davidsilverspares.com worth a look. I ended up calling them to confirm a shipping price, and they guy sold me a set of blue ones at a discount. I rattle-canned them black. I don't know how many liters they are, but they look great, come off easily, and the mount doesn't look terrible when they're not on the bike.

I think the big variable is the exchange rate. Maybe a deal, maybe not.

Jc Whitney hard case. Cheap knock off of a Givi. I had one on my bird for a couple of years commuting. Worked fine.

The bags themselves will be less of an issue than the actual XX specific mounting system, but I'll check them out, thanks.

Mike, yes, still on a Bird, or more correctly, back on a Bird. Thanks for the heads up on David Silver. Factory hard bags seem a little fancy for my application, but if the price is right... :icon_biggrin:

Jc Whitney hard case. Cheap knock off of a Givi. I had one on my bird for a couple of years commuting. Worked fine.

The bags themselves will be less of an issue than the actual XX specific mounting system, but I'll check them out, thanks.

Mike, yes, still on a Bird, or more correctly, back on a Bird. Thanks for the heads up on David Silver. Factory hard bags seem a little fancy for my application, but if the price is right... :icon_biggrin:

Yeah, and the price may not be palatable. What do the Givis and mounts cost? My setup was $666 shipped several years ago, but I don't think the Givi hits that. I think the exchange rate has improved, but the price may have gone up.

The cost of the Givi/SWM setup definitely hurts, but you only cry once. I'm glad I bit the bullet. With my 52L topcase and 45L sides, I can go on a two-week business trip and still have room for souvenirs, or grocery shopping at Sam's Club. Best thing is that once I get to the hotel, I can remove the racks and cases and run the Dragon (or whichever twisty) without feeling like a moving van.

I had the top case mounted to a Rhentech sport rack. The mounting plate laid on top, two cross bars underneath. Now, if you want two of them for side bags, mounting will be a bit more custom.

Yeah, and the price may not be palatable. What do the Givis and mounts cost?

The setup I'm looking at would be $580+ shipping. I checked davidsilverspares and found the mounts for $288 (marginally cheaper than the SWMotech mounts I'm looking at) but the bags themselves aren't listed. Doesn't look like that will end up being cheaper than domestic retail options, but thanks for the heads up.

The cost of the Givi/SWM setup definitely hurts, but you only cry once. I'm glad I bit the bullet. With my 52L topcase and 45L sides, I can go on a two-week business trip and still have room for souvenirs, or grocery shopping at Sam's Club. Best thing is that once I get to the hotel, I can remove the racks and cases and run the Dragon (or whichever twisty) without feeling like a moving van.

No need to sell me. I had the SWmotech quick release racks with a set of Givi side cases on my ZX-14. I'll never own a bike intended for even casual touring without hard bags again.

I had the top case mounted to a Rhentech sport rack. The mounting plate laid on top, two cross bars underneath. Now, if you want two of them for side bags, mounting will be a bit more custom.

Not a huge fan of top boxes. I've never liked the idea of any significant weight that high up and that far behind the axle, so I'd always be paranoid about seriously packing a top box full of gear and such. I might end up with one for lighter items, but side cases will be a must first.

I've got a possible line on a set of cases via PM, so I may just bite the bullet and go retail for the mounts unless something else pops up here.

Beginning to shop for parts for my recent project, which will be the rat tourer from hell. Definitely not looking for Corbin. Givi preferred but will consider all practical options. Looks/finish not a consideration as long as functionality is there. This is the one thing I'm willing to go retail on, but I figured I'd check here before I spent that kinda coin. 20-30 liter side bags is what I'm thinking, but will consider anything at this point.

Thanks....

Check out my listing here. http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=77759 I would be willing to separate these from the bike. I also have the trunk mount and trunk. Let me know.

J