CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help, track bike won't start

Fast Eddy

I have a 2004 cbr 600 rr for the track. I had a low side a couple of weeks ago.

It ran fine after the fall.

When I went to change the oil this eve, no start.

All fuses look good. Fuel pump seems to be getting power but doesn't turn on. But I need a test light. I have a crack in the kill switch but it still rocks.

I have not been able to get into the wiring as I need a service book for the bike.

Just thought I would see if anyone here could help since this place has a great wealth of knowledge.

My guess at this point is the kill switch or the fuel pump relay.

Is it possible for the power commander to have gone south and not let the fuel pump to come on?

All fuses look good. Fuel pump seems to be getting power but doesn't turn on. But I need a test light. I have a crack in the kill switch but it still rocks.

I have not been able to get into the wiring as I need a service book for the bike.

Just thought I would see if anyone here could help since this place has a great wealth of knowledge.

Is it possible for the power commander to have gone south and not let the fuel pump to come on?

What do you mean "seems to be getting power but doesn't turn on"? How do you know it's getting power?

Probably that cracked switch, but take the PC out of the loop just to get rid of the variable. Also check the BAS.

What do you mean "seems to be getting power but doesn't turn on"? How do you know it's getting power?

Probably that cracked switch, but take the PC out of the loop just to get rid of the variable. Also check the BAS.

I checked with a volt meter where the pump plugs in to the harness.

What's a BAS?

Did you check all the fuses? Been here, done this. Are there more than one area that has fuses? My RC was doing the same thing and it ended up being a separate fuse from the box that was bad. There were 3 areas that had fuses.

So, definitely power to the pump, but it's not cycling? That would narrow it down to everything on the pump side of that plug, which is essentially the fuel pump and the wires leading to it.

So, definitely power to the pump, but it's not cycling? That would narrow it down to everything on the pump side of that plug, which is essentially the fuel pump and the wires leading to it.

Or a relay, maybe?

Tuff, everything worked. I started the bike a couple of times since the fall.

The dash lights up and cycles, the starter cranks but it won't start.

I can't hear the fuel pump run now.

I need a service book! I can't find shit on this bike. they hide stuff in different places than my XX.

Thanks BDAZ, I will look for more fuses.

Or a relay, maybe?

I need a service book! I can't find shit on this bike. they hide stuff in different places than my XX.

If you've got power going to the pump, you can stop looking at relays, the BAS and fuses- unless any of those are in between where you found power and the pump. Check for power right at the pump if you haven't already.

Or a relay, maybe?

If you've got power going to the pump, you can stop looking at relays, the BAS and fuses- unless any of those are in between where you found power and the pump. Check for power right at the pump if you haven't already.

I have not checked right at the pump cause I'm not sure how :icon_redface:

I don't have a test light, just a volt meter.

With the ignition on, wherever the pump itself plugs into the harness, unplug it and check the harness side for power.

Power= something's wrong with the pump

No power= start looking at fuses, relays, and the BAS.

Weak battery connection! I had a loose negitive battery cable on the RC once and it would power the everything including the pump but when I hit the start button the pump stopped working. Check the connections.

+1 including the frame ground

Weak battery connection! I had a loose negative battery cable on the RC once and it would power the everything including the pump but when I hit the start button the pump stopped working. Check the connections.

Funny you should say that. I was cleaning /checking things out and I saw a little corrosion on a cluster of green wires bolted to the frame next to the fuses. I believe these to be ground wires. I unbolted and cleaned. I also put a small bit of dielectric grease on when I reconnected.

I hope that didn't cause a problem.

When I get more time I will start checking thing out more thoroughly.

Since I could get it running in time to take to Blackhawk raceway on the 24th, there is no hurry now.

Fortunately I could take my 929 and still go to the track day.

Weak battery connection! I had a loose negative battery cable on the RC once and it would power the everything including the pump but when I hit the start button the pump stopped working. Check the connections.

Funny you should say that. I was cleaning /checking things out and I saw a little corrosion on a cluster of green wires bolted to the frame next to the fuses. I believe these to be ground wires. I unbolted and cleaned. I also put a small bit of dielectric grease on when I reconnected.

I hope that didn't cause a problem.

When I get more time I will start checking thing out more thoroughly.

Since I could get it running in time to take to Blackhawk raceway on the 24th, there is no hurry now.

Fortunately I could take my 929 and still go to the track day.

perfect, exactly what I was saying

Since I could get it running in time

I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant to say "Since I could not get it running"

Or is the problem fixed?

Since I could get it running in time

I'm assuming that's a typo and you meant to say "Since I could not get it running"

Or is the problem fixed?

You are correct sir. It's a typo. Couldn't get it running in time but you new that cause you were there.

I did some research on the 600RR forum. I think I know what I did wrong. The BAS(bank angle sensor) is mounted to the headlight assembly. I think I remounted it upside down. :icon_redface:

I think I have time to look at it this eve.

I hope that's it.

Then I hope I remember how to put it all back together.

Sell it!!

:icon_biggrin:

Ok

Whatcha gemme for it? :icon_whistle:

On second thought, I guess I'll put it back together & mount the Pilot race tires I got for it :icon_thumbsup:

Ok mystery solved!

When I took it apart to replace the fairing stay, I had to take off the BAS. When I put it back together I installed the BAS upside down.

Fixed!!!!

Ok mystery solved!

When I took it apart to replace the fairing stay, I had to take off the BAS. When I put it back together I installed the BAS upside down.

Fixed!!!!

So get out a sharpie and write "This side up" on it, dipshit.

Ok mystery solved!

Fixed!!!!

So get out a sharpie and write "This side up" on it, dipshit.

It has an arrow on it from Honda :icon_redface:

Congrats on fixxing a simple mistake Eddy!

:icon_dance:

If I'm not mistaken, there IS an arrow on it that is suppose to be pointing up. The good news is..........you've tested your BAS and know for a fact that it is working.....in case you have an off.

Yes, there is an arrow but it is on the back of the sensor :icon_rolleyes:

You mean in case I have another off :icon_redface:

Ok mystery solved!

Fixed!!!!

In the first response- "check the BAS". Four days later, you solved the mystery. Good work, Sherlock ;)

Glad you're up and running. :icon_biggrin: