CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI red light appears during ride

XXavier

Hi all

I'm from singapore, currently on a 99 FI

Recently the FI light appears and stays lit while I was on the move, when I stop, I turn off the ignition, turned it back on, the FI light works normally(lit up for 2 seconds before going off). But when I ride again, the FI light appears again and stays lit.

I checked the manual but it does not states clearly what is the possible cause.

DOes any fellow riders here have any advise?

Thank you

Regards

Your electrical system is like the foundation of a house. If you have problems there, it'll manifest itself as problems everywhere and you'll be on a wild goose chase hunting down symptoms.

Measure your battery/system voltage 1) with the bike off, and 2) with the bike running. You should be just above 12V with the bike off, and somewhere near 14V with the bike running.

How long does the bike have to run before the FI light comes on? Make sure that you're measuring the system voltage when the FI light comes on, to see if it's changed.

Start with this measurement....and if you're good there, then you can start to focus on the real cause of the problem.

You can either have a bad ground somewhere (less expensive !) , or your wires are shorting somewhere. This happened to me ('99 Bird).

At first the light would glow here and there. Any change in the current would either trigger it on or off - HI/LO beam, turn signal, brake light, etc. Then it would stay on longer and eventually shorted my FI unit.

Honda mechanics found the part of the harness (around the battery) rubbing against the frame. I was lucky it happened at home (I only had to push about two blocks ! :roll: ) and it was covered under extended warranty !!! :cool: Otherwise it would be about $1500 job.

Have it checked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck,

Mick tells me that there is a connection near the battery on the left side that has a history of corroding on the European models. You might check it out. Let me know what you find out. good luck.

Alright.

During rides, if the RPM exceeds 2.5k for about 10 seconds, the FI light will appear and stay lit. After I stop and put the bike on side stand with the engine running. The FI will blink for 2 long blinks, and 5 fast blinks. Indicating error 25 on the service manual. Which is the knock sensor problem.

The mech did checks for me, he checked for loose or poor connections on the knock sensor, its OK. He checked for continuity from the ECM grey connector blue wire to the knock sensor, its OK. The knock sensor wasn't replaced with a new one to test again. That's where he determined the ECM was faulty.

Heard from many BB owners locally they said 99 FI model have this infamous problem with the ECM. It tends to go about 4 yrs from the date it was rolled out from the production line. I wonder how true can that be, thought such things are made to last?

I'll be doing a self diagnosis or maybe a "self diagnosis reset"

Any of you guys done it before? Is there any pros and cons for doing that?

I'll be following what the manual teach.

That's why I'm very reluctant to give in to the option of changing the ECM cos its blardy expensive. Its gonna cost me SGD900+ or about USD500+

I'm gonna start with the cheaper options, self diagnose the bike myself before I consider on the change of the knock sensor.