CBR1100XX.org Forum

running on 3

royston vacy

hi, my 98 blackbird is only running on 3 cylinders , not used it much latley and it was left over winter with a low fuel level , total millage is 9000 .

So I'm thinking start with the easy bit and change the plugs and air filter----but looking through the forums people are also thinking that leaving a low fuel level in the tank for long periods can also cause problems with rust and carbs gumming up .

Now i've read on some pages that the carbs may need cleaning but no one says how to do it , seems a good idea to me to do this as well as the plugs and air filter ,

So now comes the question ,

How do you clean out the carbs on a blackbird

thanks vacy

Guest rockmeupto125

Not quite sure why you would think no one knows how to do it........'cept you.

If you're running on three, I suggest you find the cylinder that's not running, or running poorly, by touching the headers after running the bike for 30 seconds.....the poorly or non-functioning cylinder will have a cooler header pipe. Once that's ascertained, check or change the spark plug. If that doesn't work, pull the float bowl for that cylinder and check the jets for crud and grunge. And of course, you have fuel in the tank, and your vacuum line properly placed and in good order. If that does it, get some Seafoam in the tank, and ride it.

If you don't have any luck with that, its time to get up close and personal with it. But that's the least work you might have good results with.

cleaning the carbs is easy remove the tank,remove he air box, loosen the lower intake boot clamps ,disconnect the choke cable.you can leave throttle cables attached,pull the carbs,remove the float bowls, you will see two jets and a float in the bottom of carbremove both jet one will be bigger the the other spray carb cleaner through the the small one is the pilot jet you may need to poke it clean. i use a stran of wire then spray through it after you have poked it.reassemble and repeat on all carbs

TURK....dammit....you have to change that pic everytime I read a thread and come across one of your replies all I can think of is BOOBIES!!!! :icon_evilgrin: So what was the topic again???

Beat me to it.

This is the first of Turk's threads I have seen, but I offer a heartfelt welcum :icon_love: to the group. Need full pic, preferably without clothes.

Oh, and what they said as to the bad cylinder.