CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain/wheel alignment tool

• 2 weeks later...
Copied from a different forum:

Let me explain the differences.

I think the one you have is from Motion Pro. I don't know of one made by Lockhart, but maybe they were distributing the Motion Pro tool.

The major differences between the PROJECT | ONE and Motion Pro tools are 1)Rod and 2)Rod/Tool interface.

1)Rod.

-Motion Pro rod is 8" long cold rolled steel 0.1875" in diameter sheared to length. It's way too short to even be useful and bends very easily.

-PROJECT | ONE rod is 18" long precision ground stainless shafting with an OD of 0.250" (with a tolerance of +0.0000" -0.0005").

The PROJECT | ONE rod will be very close, if not directly on top of, the front sprocket. The Motion pro rod is so short it makes the tool useless.

2)Interface

-Motion Pro tool is extruded aluminum. Extruding cannot guarantee parallelism between the face the rod is mounted to and the face that contacts the sprocket.

-PROJECT | ONE tool is completely machined from 6061-T6 aluminum. The alignment rod hole and sprocket contact surface are machined in one operation. You cannot get any more accurate than this.

I hope the is very obvious and worthwile to everybody. Everybody using the PROJECT |ONE tools really likes them. I encourage you to see why they are the best.

Mike @ PROJECT | ONE

And:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridgeway

I think the thumb screws only serve the purpose of:

1. Holding the rod in place, which doesn't seem to have any side-to-side play.

Exactly. The nylon is very "grippy" on the stainless without any marring of the rod. It's actually hard to move the rod with the screw tightened down. There is no slop between the rod and the hole. It's a reamed hole and has about .001 to .0005" clearance.

2. Holding the clamp part tight against the face of the sprocket. As long as it's tight, it should hold the rod in-line with the sprocket.

Exactly again.

I'll leave the metalurgy to those who know what they're talking about, (and those that know how to spell metalurgy, cause I think I slaughtered it)

At any rate, it looks like this would be a lot easier than the old fashioned "string around the back wheel pulled past the front wheel" alignment method I've been using, though I would be interested to hear opinions on aligning the sprockets vs. aligning the wheels. As I understand it, aligning one does not necessarily take care of the other.

Aligning one hopefully aligns the other. The only way this wouldn't be true is if the mounting surface on the wheel wasn't machined in a parallel plane to a plane running through the wheel. If that were the case you would notice a wobbly sprocket even if it wasn't bent.

So, aligning the sprocket will also align your wheel. You can do that by either aligning the sprocket or the string around the wheel trick. I've never like the string method and it's fairly time consuming. With the string method, you are also using the edges of the tire which are not accurate at all.

The above is a copy of a post on a different forum showing the differences of the two products, it is not intended to flame or belittle. Just a usefull product that has worked great for me.

Thanks all,

Dave

The above is a copy of a post on a different forum showing the differences of the two products, it is not intended to flame or belittle. Just a usefull product that has worked great for me.

Thanks all,

Dave

Thanks Dave. Glad you like it!

I'm glad the picture of the Motion Pro is shown. You can clearly see that the rod diameter and length are very small and ultimately inadequate.

$10 less? You get what you pay for and it shows.

The PROJECT | ONE tool is definitely worth more than the $10 difference though.

• 8 months later...