CBR1100XX.org Forum

What do you think about oil additives?

Mikey

It's all snake oil.

Well put. However we sell the shit out of it. I think the majority of people who are buying it are basing their purchase on anectotal instead of empirical evidence. That's not good enough for me. It's like my daddy used to say:

Oil's cheap.  Engines aren't.

If you are at all worried about you oil send it out for analysis. I use Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic in my boxer BMW motors and they, being air/oil cooled, are much harder on oil than our water cooled Blackbirds. I have sent samples out for analysis at 6K intervals since my 1100S was new. Actually, I have extended my change intervals to 10K miles as a result. The oil kept coming back as OK on all the critical factors, lubricity, contaminants and the like.

My contention is that a quality oil, changed, along with the filter, at reasonalble intervals, will give you service life on your motor and related components well into the point where you will be tired of the bike. Modern oils all have a number of additives already added that will provide all you need. Why add some snake oil unless you are a lubricant chemist and have proved that you need more?

My plan for my, new to me '01 'bird, is gonna be Shell Rotella and change at 6-8K intervals. Now, all that said, I'm pretty easy on my bikes. Very little short term running, lots of days with 4-600 mile rides with stops for only fuel. The oil gets up to and maintains temperature this way and most of the harmful volitiles are driven off in the process. This is of primary importance to extending useful life of your oil and fun to do.