CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yamaha 650 Special ?

Alanb

Off the topic of the XX, but on topic for my commuter bike! :grin:

I find myself in need of a coil for a 1981 650 Special, and am told they are no longer made by Yamaha. Does anyone know of a source for this part? Any help would be appreciated! I think I've got a good used one tracked down, but would rather get new when it comes to electrical parts.

Thanks in advance! :)

Alan

Also, if anyone is very familiar with part # stampings and what they mean I have a question about the possible replacement I have found.... one little number off to the right side is different but I doubt very much the voltage or anything important would have changed. Just being paranoid!

Alan

The important number you need off the old coil or your manual if you have one is the primary resistance which is either 1.5ohm, 2.2ohm or 3ohm. Get that and you can replace it with another of the same resistance from aftermarket suppliers.Is that the number which is different on the other coil?, if so it wont do you.Is the bike what we call the XS650 over here.

The "donor" bike is an '82, mine is an '81. ALL the numbers are the same on the parts, except 3 off to the right, which I am guessing is some kind of date code of when it was made, but I'm not sure. Mine says .012, he says his says 103. Nothing that makes any sense to me!! The resistance of my coil was twice what the manual said it should be, which would explain the pathetic spark! It idles but bogs with ANY throttle. Not exactly rideable like that! It did run ok for a short spell but not since, so it's an intermittent problem. Tracking it down to the coil I hope is the last step! Any help at all from part # pros?

Thanks guys!

It sounds like they are good, solid (though not fast) bikes, once they are running properly!

Alan

Thanks Mick! I tried looking it up there but no luck. Called but the time difference made it so no one knew anything there (night shift). I'll try again tomorrow, hopefully have some luck.

Alan