CBR1100XX.org Forum

Track Pressures for Diablo Rosso Corsa...

bartonmd

Just because there was no real information about these tires on this big heavy pig on the track, I figured I'd just post up for posterity.

- '97 XX

- 220# rider

- Ohlins rear, sprung and valved front

- 70-82degF

- Grippy track (Putnam Park in West-Central Indiana)

- Pressures, cold (at 68F in the morning, before getting on the track), 33.5F / 34R

Tires felt very good, and only a little slippery on the first cold lap of the first scession, wearing the mold-release off and getting them scrubbed/heated. After that, they felt great all day.

After the day of riding a middle-intermediate pace:

Front:

2012-08-20_16-22-24_313.jpg

Rear:

2012-08-20_16-20-39_148.jpg

I would drop the pressures 10-15%

Last March at RacerXX, I committed the cardinal sin of asking the tire guy what he recommended, and then telling him differently after he mounted my rear tire. He said 24, I said 28. I did okay at the track, but the bike never felt on rails. Checked the pressure the next morning before taking off on a street ride.......12 pounds. Know who you're trusting with your tires, or do it yourself.

Probably because of Putnam being pretty grippy, but the bike felt on rails all day. I was hammering the throttle while still leaned way over and it never did anything funny, at all.

Pirelli will only say 24-30psi for these tires on a 370# sportbike. They didn't have an opinion or even any clue what someone on a 550# pig should run them at. Matt (shop owner / racer / tech) said the newer Pirellis like to be run a couple psi higher than comparable Michelins. I'm certain that being a bit lower wouldn't hurt them, because they're not sluffing off rubber and melting down, but grip was great!

Mike

The front looks about right or maybe just slightly too greasy , I would add 1 psi .

The rear is too " polished " for my taste ( especially on the edge ) , I would drop 2 psi and go from there .

XX is about 150 heavier then intended target for those tires , you have to run pressures somewhat higher compared to what Pirelli recommends .

Here :

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6516891

Almost two hours long but it is golden , wealth of tire wear info .

I agree, the front looks good and a pound or two difference will clean up the rear.

Good to hear you are tracking the bird. They are always fun to line up next to trackbikes and have everyone looking at it, asking WTF is that! :icon_biggrin: Then you blow by them on the straights.