CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turbo birds from Russia

K Viktor

Hello!

I would like to tell about some turbo projects which I build in Russia at last year.

Sorry for my bad english ;)

First, FI Blackbird 2000.

It has Garrett-17 turbo, but his housings overbored to 2860 size. We got similar performance as 2860 but smaller size.

Turbo header: TIG-welded, stainless steel.

Installed 4 EGT sensors, it necessary to accurately monitoring turbine temp. because we use launch-control modes (when clutch disengaged, throttle=100%, ignition advance= 0..-5 degrees and RPM limit in 5000, this helps to build boost at low rpm).

phoca_thumb_l_1.jpg

phoca_thumb_l_16.jpg

Oil filter rotated to 90 degrees, and oil to turbo gets from its adapter.

turbine1.jpg

Drain line connected to electrical oil scavenge pump locaded under a fuel tank.

Downpipe - simple 60mm stainless steel tube, connected to Devil muffler. Wideband AFR sensor inside :)

downpipe.jpg

Engine. Custom pistons for 9:1 compression ratio, made specially for me in military factory:

piston1.jpg

Connection rods are stock (now i want buy Carrillo's), Cometic head gasket.

piston2.jpg

Intake plenum has velostacks, water intercooler and secondary injector rail (from honda S2000). Installed Water-Methanol injection system from AEM.

airbox2.jpg

injector2.jpg

Blow off valve is simple, but it work very well:

blowoff2.jpg

Spark and Fuel management system (ecu) designed specially for this bike, based on Cortex-m3 (stm32f103) controller.

This bird has 257.6 SAE bwhp or 297.2 hp with methanol injection.

Very fun ride ©Elton :icon_biggrin:

Turbo Blackbird:

aes_blackbird.jpg

cbr_on_dyno.jpg

This is first Russian Turbo Blackbird :icon_biggrin:

Now it has extenden swingarm, electronic traction and boost control.

Second and third birds at next posts!

Second TurboBird :icon_evilgrin:

Carbed CBR1100xx 1997 year old.

blackbird1.jpg

Time to make exhaust flanges:

flange4.jpg

5.jpg

Russian roads had very bad quality, this is reason for made addition turbine support (without it turbine header may crack). In CATIA software I calculate required arm sizes (to turbine flange):

flange_analyse.jpg

Welding process:

7.jpg

8.jpg

Turbo intake plenum (receiver):

intake7.jpg

Engine rebuild (custom pistons, gasket, clutch, etc). Also we changed cylinder head to 2000 year injector. Now we have 1997 fuel injected BlackBird!

pistons4.jpg

engine2.jpg

ECU similar to 1-st bird, DIY on STM32F103 controller.

Installed pipe connection for turbo oil drain line. Pay attention, it over oil level !

oil_drain.jpg

Turbo Engine installed:

turboengine.jpg

Downpipe connected to stock exhaust system:

lambda.jpg

Intake installed:

receiver2.jpg

AEM UEGO wideband gauge and boost pressure gauge:

indicators2.jpg

Now we have absoluttely "stock-like" 1997 bird, but it FI with turbo engine :icon_biggrin:

drozd1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Third Bird

This is low-cost low-power project.

FI 1999 CBR1100xx:

wheelie.jpg

Define correct turbine location:

2.jpg

4.jpg

Some welding work :icon_biggrin:

collector3_1.jpg

collector2.jpg

And CNC work:

x11_receiver2.jpg

img_8648.jpg

Installed HKS SSQV blowoff valve:

img_8670.jpg

"Mockup" installation:

img_8645.jpg

Downpipe. 133 dBa at CEM noise meter :icon_evilgrin:

downpipe_1.jpg

Engine. Thicker Cometic gasket and adjustable CAM sprockets. That's all.

cometic_gasket.jpg

cbr1100xx_gasket.jpg

Oil filter adapter. All right reserved, patented :icon_naughty:

sliv.jpg

Completed system:

turbine_conn.jpg

receiver_blowoff.jpg

ECU: Stock, with specially designed Fuel Controller, similar to PowerCommander (we called it "CLONE" :icon_biggrin: ) but has ability to boost-control, autotune, MAP-based correction tables and knock sensor input. DAC converter generate fake stock-like map-sensor signal (Bike ECU now happy and FI error on boost not lit):

phoca_thumb_l_clone4.jpg

Dynoruns. Very loud :icon_twisted:

dyno3.jpg

dynochart.jpg

Bird in winter :icon_biggrin: :

cbr1.jpg

cbr2.jpg

cbr3.jpg

Next...

Honda X-11 turbo :icon_biggrin:

This project now in building stage...

turbo_x11.jpg

I thank for your responses!

That is some awesome work you have done. I bet they are spooky fast to ride.

Yes, but now i can not choice right rear tire, Michlen Pilot road III slips first 100-150m of race strip, Pirelli Supercorsa too...

My speed record = 325km/h at one mile, this is very bad result for this bike.

Incredible, you definitely have skills to pay the bills.

No, i do not pay - it's my work :icon_biggrin:

First bird in this topic - my own, others are builded for clients.

Incredible, you definitely have skills to pay the bills.

No, i do not pay - it's my work :icon_biggrin:

First bird in this topic - my own, others are builded for clients.

A quick American translation, Skills to pay the bills means that you have the skills to earn a good salary to pay your own bills. :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

You are really talented.

I really like your filter mount/relocation. An elegant solution for oiling the turbo.

Thanks for posting,

And welcome.

Very cool work there - I agree: keep the pictures and stories coming!

As far as tires go, have you tried a Mickey Thompson MCR2 with about 8 PSI and a good tire temperature?

It is possible that your tracks don't have enough traction compound to handle the power that early.. That's where boost control comes in. :icon_biggrin:

As far as tires go, have you tried a Mickey Thompson MCR2 with about 8 PSI and a good tire temperature?

No, i didn't try. Now i want try shinko 003. If it will be slips again, i will order Mickey Thompson. Or 220 wheel :icon_biggrin:

It is possible that your tracks don't have enough traction compound to handle the power that early.. That's where boost control comes in. :icon_biggrin:

Yes, we don't have compound in our track :(

Moto dragracing? Russian's don't know what is it :(

Boost control. hmmm, there are some difficulties:

1) Minimum boost controlled pressure = minimum wastegate opening pressure. It defines by wastegate spring hardness. BUT. In internal wastegate we can not use spring softer then 40% of max boost pressure. Otherwise backpressure open wastegate valve and we have power losses at max boost.

e.g. Max boost = 1.5bar. Then, directly connected wastegate must open at 0.6bar or greater.

Result = minimum boost-controlled pressure = 0.4-0.6bar.

2)Bird completely slips at 0.3bar at launch :icon_twisted:

Now i think about electrical actuator of wastegate valve. And 220 rear wheel.

No, i didn't try. Now i want try shinko 003. If it will be slips again, i will order Mickey Thompson. Or 220 wheel :icon_biggrin:

Yes, we don't have compound in our track :(

Moto dragracing? Russian's don't know what is it :(

Boost control. hmmm, there are some difficulties:

1) Minimum boost controlled pressure = minimum wastegate opening pressure. It defines by wastegate spring hardness. BUT. In internal wastegate we can not use spring softer then 40% of max boost pressure. Otherwise backpressure open wastegate valve and we have power losses at max boost.

e.g. Max boost = 1.5bar. Then, directly connected wastegate must open at 0.6bar or greater.

Result = minimum boost-controlled pressure = 0.4-0.6bar.

2)Bird completely slips at 0.3bar at launch :icon_twisted:

Now i think about electrical actuator of wastegate valve. And 220 rear wheel.

Mmm, I'm not sure I agree with your math.. With modern electronic boost control, you can run the spring pressure down to .2 BAR easily..then let the controller do the rest, all the way up to 9 BAR or more.

Air is far more controllable than a spring is. We only use a spring to keep the gate from bouncing around too much.

But, if you're having that kind of traction problem and lacking VHT, then you need to consider a beadlock and something like a TX style tire and stretch it out to 8 inches for a serious contact patch. You could even consider a flat car tire, if you really wanted to get up and go quickly in straight line. It is easier to swap wheels than tires, right? One for each purpose.

In any case, keep the updates coming, we likey! :icon_biggrin:

Wonderful, really like your skills and adaption and innovation. Must be many more projects your involved in that would interesting to see other than blackbirds. Looks like we have a lot to talk about, so keep it coming.

Holy shit. Looks like you have the right skills to create big time demons :icon_biggrin:

Guess I should stop by in Mother Russia with my XX :icon_evilgrin:

• 1 year later...

thats a sweet set up you got !

how did the stock rods hold ?

i have a turbo 03 xx my self i ran 23 psi on it

and now im building my motor for the big boost :D je pistons carrillo rods billet basket hd every thing etc