CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sweet Music - Now with sound clip!

sykotek-xx

Sound Clip:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/steve.humins...t_3feetback.mp3

So per the other thread I had punched about a 1.25" hole through the two baffles (solid and perf'd) accessible thru the exit opening of the stock pipes. Made some difference, but hardly anything noticable.

I decided that stock pipes are cheap enough to replace if I totally fuck them up, so I broke out the drill. A 3/8" bit fit cleanly in the six holes around the end of the stock pipe. I drilled. All twelve holes.

Started it up, and damn. Much better. Smoooooth tone. Not obnixous, but definitely much louder than before.

There was, however, the slight "hiss hiss hiss" or "ffft ffft ffft" sound of the air becoming turbulent thru the new holes.

So I grabbed the drill again. This time I angled the bit as far to either side of each hole I had already drilled as I could, and basically elongated all twelve holes into ovals comprised of three holes each. Didn't touch the outer shell, so visibly it's still only six holes per side. Following me?

Again, big improvement. Not much more volume, but it put a big dent in the noise I mentioned above.

Still knowing I could do better, I upped the drill from 3/8 to 1/2". This required enlarging the factory holes on the outer shell of the pipe. I drilled through all twelve holes, outer shell then thru the baffle.

Now we're talking. The additional area gave the gas enough room to escape without building so much pressure (and making the ffft ffft ffft noise).

Still looks stock, my holes are just bigger than yours now. :)

Sounds fucking awesome. I find it hard to shift out of 4th gear now because I am listening to the exhaust note.

To sum up, if you're looking for some sound, don't be afriad to drill.

So per the other thread I had punched about a 1.25" hole through the two baffles (solid and perf'd) accessible thru the exit opening of the stock pipes. Made some difference, but hardly anything noticable.

I decided that stock pipes are cheap enough to replace if I totally fuck them up, so I broke out the drill. A 3/8" bit fit cleanly in the six holes around the end of the stock pipe. I drilled. All twelve holes.

Started it up, and damn. Much better. Smoooooth tone. Not obnixous, but definitely much louder than before.

There was, however, the slight "hiss hiss hiss" or "ffft ffft ffft" sound of the air becoming turbulent thru the new holes.

So I grabbed the drill again. This time I angled the bit as far to either side of each hole I had already drilled as I could, and basically elongated all twelve holes into ovals comprised of three holes each. Didn't touch the outer shell, so visibly it's still only six holes per side. Following me?

Again, big improvement. Not much more volume, but it put a big dent in the noise I mentioned above.

Still knowing I could do better, I upped the drill from 3/8 to 1/2". This required enlarging the factory holes on the outer shell of the pipe. I drilled through all twelve holes, outer shell then thru the baffle.

Now we're talking. The additional area gave the gas enough room to escape without building so much pressure (and making the ffft ffft ffft noise).

Still looks stock, my holes are just bigger than yours now. :)

Sounds fucking awesome. I find it hard to shift out of 4th gear now because I am listening to the exhaust note.

To sum up, if you're looking for some sound, don't be afriad to drill.

I started to do the same thing on 1 of the 6 holes on each muffler, but the "ffftt" sound that you are talking about made me think that it was a muffler with a hole in it - imagine. So, I plugged the hole. Maybe the trick is to drill all of the holes like you did and allow all of the air to escape through the 1/2 holes?

Will this cause any damage internally to the engine? Thanks.

I started to do the same thing on 1 of the 6 holes on each muffler, but the "ffftt" sound that you are talking about made me think that it was a muffler with a hole in it - imagine. So, I plugged the hole. Maybe the trick is to drill all of the holes like you did and allow all of the air to escape through the 1/2 holes?

The more I opened it up, the less apparrent the 'ffftt' noise was. It's gone now. My CCT and clutch rattling is louder.

Will this cause any damage internally to the engine? Thanks.

Shouldn't. ymmv.

[Will this cause any damage internally to the engine? Thanks.

no, but the gas won't come out cooled like before, and the overall temperature of the exhausted gas will slightly increase. anyway, it wont damage your engine, that's the job of the unpleased neighbours to do... :icon_lol:

[Will this cause any damage internally to the engine? Thanks.

no, but the gas won't come out cooled like before, and the overall temperature of the exhausted gas will slightly increase. anyway, it wont damage your engine, that's the job of the unpleased neighbours to do... :icon_lol:

Right. The cans should be a bit cooler, and theoretically the engine and header should cool off a bit with the reduced backpressure. Still topped 205 (degrees, not MPH) on the 70 degree morning commute home this fine day.

Likely still not near as loud as some aftermarket pipes...I will give it a try... good idea!

It has the same sound as the CF slip-on Microns on Airborne's bird, but not as loud.

I'll try to get a sound clip up by the weekend.

Likely still not near as loud as some aftermarket pipes...I will give it a try... good idea!

It has the same sound as the CF slip-on Microns on Airborne's bird, but not as loud.

I'll try to get a sound clip up by the weekend.

p.s. - got 1500 miles on those Continental Attack's you see in the pics, LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!! $227 shipped from tireexpress.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Just upped the holes to 9/16". Sounds even better now.

I think it's running rich now. Getting small puffs of black smoke if I rev it in neutral. Cans don't seem much if any blacker than normal.

Would a PCIII make an improvement at this point?

p.s. - got 1500 miles on those Continental Attack's you see in the pics, LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!! $227 shipped from tireexpress.com.

1500 miles eh.. thats a pair of tires a weekend steve....????

1500 miles eh.. thats a pair of tires a weekend steve....????

No, I meant 1500 miles so far. Better get me at least 8K.

Here's a sound clip of what the pipes sound like right now.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/steve.humins...t-3feetback.mp3

:icon_cool: Sounds good!

You should be running leaner not richer opening up the exaust.

Monitor your fuel mileage and see.

Fuel mileage has gone to shit since I started drilling, but I have been shifting a lot less less too. I need to do a controlled mpg test.