CBR1100XX.org Forum

While idling, it just shut off,

Loki

Afternoon all.

Yesterday got me 03 idling while pulling the gloves on, as I reach for the throttle, it stalls.

I get a rather strong electrical smell coming from the forward area. Restart, works good.

Then, dead, no nothing. Dashboard out, nothing reacting when key is turned.

Checked the battery, tested good with load. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start.

You guys seem to have a handle on this type of incident.

Thanks

L;

if the battery isnt dead i dont think it would be reg rec.possibly a short somewhere.it may sound silly but you might be able to isolate the area to start looking by following your nose for where the burnt smell is strongest.

Check the fuses, don't forget the one that's sorta hidden on the left side of the battery- removing the rear cowl makes access much easier on that one.

If you popped a fuse, it's time to start looking for a short.

• Upvote 1

Before you start buying parts hook up voltmeter to the running bike ( to the battery ) and check out what is actually going on in the electric department.

Edited by tomek

Before you start buying parts hook up voltmeter to the running bike ( to the battery ) and check out what is actually going on in the electric department.

That's going to be difficult at this point.

That's going to be difficult at this point.

LOL. Zero logged into my account, it seems.

• Upvote 1

Tomek, did just that. Hooked up my meter, watched for a minute, turned on the key. nothing.

Took a screw drive to the terminals, undid battery and checked the ohms on the system, just to see

reconnected the battery, turned the key, it fired up. perfectly. I then rechecked the battery, it was bouncing like crazy.

I take it the battery is shorting somewhere inside, will take it to the shop to get tested.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they did work

L;

The battery may have a bad internal connection. It may show perfect on a tester if the connection is good at the time. Unless there was a loose or dirty connection when you messed with it the problem is likely in the battery.

Thinking over the winter the battery froze, even though it was on a trickle charger. Yea it got that cold here.

It will be checked later this week, cant find the time now.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

L;