CBR1100XX.org Forum

Any ZX14 owners in here?

silverbird1100

I've owned 3 of them. Fairing does a good job of keeping heat off of you,,,,, if your doing 35+.

The newer 14R has been re designed for better air movement.

Ditching the factory exhaust and going with Brock's and a PC V reduces a lot of heat build up also!

As far as everything else about the bike, Light years ahead in HP and suspension.

I raised the bars up with spacers and threw on a bit taller shield and I was in heaven.

Any other Q's?

Edited by davesXX01

The ZX14 is what the BB should have evolved into. It's a great bike with a monster engine.
As far as engine heat, neither bothered me. I think any water cooled bike will get warm when the cooling fans kick on.

Uncorking the exhaust with slip ons helps as both mufflers have catalytic converters in them and are heavier than hell.
They're readily available on the used market at good prices. Just do it.

I'm on my 2nd ZX14 and it is a 2012 R. The ZX14R is a much nicer bike than the original. I like the newer styling, big jump in HP, traction control, and how everything can be toggled from handlebar for the menu's and selections on the instruments. The suspension also seems a little more plush on the highway. I'm getting mid 40's mpg at 70mph, and both ZX's are ultra smooth.

I regularly ride my XX's, Busa , and ZX14, and have never been bothered by engine heat on any of them except setting at stop lights on a hot day. As Dave mentions they did some air management to the 14R that was supposed to be an improvement, but the only thing I noticed is that it is a pain in the ass to get bodywork off now due to all the hidden fasteners.

Edited by RC Randy

Interesting that engine heat is like windscreens, everyone seems to have a different idea of what's comfortable. If a big powerful bike is going to give off heat then so be it, but it is a pet peeve of mine. I honestly thought the XX was terrible, construction zones were the worst and never seem to go away until 55mph. No one else feel that way?

I rode Tims ZX14 from Chicago to Indy and back one year. Ridiculous locomotive power wanted to pull my arms out of their sockets. I think that was with the flies in too. With that slippery ass Corbin seat I could barely hang on to it in 1st gear. We rode from the hotel to the track in shorts and I thought my right inner thigh was going to be cooked by the time we got there. We were riding thru town with some stop and go stuff. With proper gear on I don't remember noticing it that much.

I have no way to accurately answer that...

I was riding yesterday in 80-85 degree temps.

I never noticed heat from the motor.

Same for my Blackbird.
When I ride in 95 degree heat, its hot...period.