CBR1100XX.org Forum

new cans and jetting.

Chadjj

I installed the Delkevic 9inch ovals can andmid pipes on my 97 BB. I hve acces to a EGA and on testing idle and cruise,i recieved these results. idle 1100 rpm 2.5% CO, at cruise or 1/3 of max rpm 4.15% CO. Now according to the EGA I should be at about 3% idle good there. But at the cruise or 1/3 max rpm it is suppose o be 1/2 to 1/4 of the idle reading. So i should be at like 1 to 1.5% not 4.1%, would this indicate that i am too rich at off idle cruise rpm? Might need to check needle setting? Anyone have any exprience using EGA, i use it at work to check forklifts for CO reading.

The problem is... the EGA is incredibly outdated and does nothing for real world, on the road under load, numbers.

Buy a Wide band Oxygen sensor.... then you will be posting something relative to today's technology. There's a few guys here that have O2 sensors or their bikes already... and I'm one of them.

I have a Data Logger mounted on my bike that records some of the sensors on the bike as well as a Bosh wide band air fuel sensor.

But you, don't need all of that.... because you don't have Fuel Injection.

However, you could "potentially" benefit from having a wide Band AFR sensor and gauge... so that you could better fine tune your Carburetors.

As for suggesting a Kit, there really is to many to chose from, but you need something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Meter-5770-Phantom-Wide-Band-Air-Fuel-Ratio-Kit-/290794857365?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b4b96395&vxp=mtr

After you decide on which Color you want, etc. and get it installed.... then the fun begins.... the maddening fun of wondering how you should adjust what in order to get your AFR numbers where you want them..... trust me, it can be very very maddening.

Good Luck...... if you so choose to go down that path.....

Tuning with a good EGA is more accurate and gives one more information than using an O2 sensor. It's expensive, requires more knowledge, and has slower response so most people tune to the O2 readings which beats the heck out of nothing.

well the EGA we have is new and is accurate. The readinga i was getting were off and like i said it seemed like i am getting to much fuel off idle. This weekend i am going to set it on the bike so i can monitor it as i ride.Then i can do a 30 to 80 mph roll on which it will actually capture that co2 readings on accelleration. I have a set of mains and needle shims coming for the bike incase i need them. With a set of slip ons and no change in airbox i will bet no jetting will be needed.

When I said 'good ega' I meant a 4 gas, but since you have some practice with the one you're using and know what numbers to aim for you may be able to dial it in that way. Since they're jetted on the lean side for emissions plus you've opened up a little more airflow a re-jet will likely help it.

If i go the a/f meter route where is the bung, and sensor placed in the exhaust. Would think it should be at ther collector where the 4 down pipes merge?

Yes, it should be in the collector where it'll see all 4 cylinders. Find some photos of a '01-up header, they have a factory O2 sensor in them and I assume Honda did the math on where to put it. In case you don't know, almost all 4 cyl. bikes have different jetting for the two inner and two outer cylinders so you wanna stay staggered like original and jet up from there. On one bike that I looked into way back the research led to moving the bigger jets to the carbs with smaller jets and buying just 2 bigger jets for the other carbs and that was generally enough to make it right for a muffler swap.

Yeah the jets I ordered are one step up bigger 145s and 146s.and then one shim for each needle. I also finally broke down and bought a motion pro 90 degree adjusting tool, for the carbs. I have only ever owned one bike that wasnt carbed cant believe i waited this long to order one. I used my friends tool and couldnt believe how easy it makes things.

Edited by Chadjj