CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI light circuit malfunction

speedygeezer

2000 Bird, 62K miles. FI light comes on after a few minutes of riding. I pull in the clutch, turn off the engine (thumb switch/key), turn back on, push start button, engine restarts, and after a bit the FI light comes back on. Repeat. Sometimes the light stays off, sometimes not. I disconnect the + battery cable, reconnect, and problem sometimes returns, sometimes not. Eventually, it does return. I've ridden with the light on for many miles and nothing bad happens. So far. But, "something" is going on.....Anybody? Tks.

Blink code.....next time FI light comes on, pull over, put bike in neutral, and put kickstand down. Then count the FI light blinks. There will be a series of long and short blinks - each long blink is 5, and short blinks are single. (Ex: long short short is 7). Then look up what fault that code is.

That being said, it is a 2000. Have you done the loom fix yet?

Before I did the loom fix, my lights would turn off completely and randomly. Turn signals would come on and stay constantly lite. FI codes like crazy.

The bike was basically unuseable.

If you aren't pulling any codes after you look at the manual then it is probably the test plug(loom fix).

Before you go to the trouble of doing the group soldering we should try this-

www.posthorn.com/Stab_2.html

I was having the FI light problem with my 99XX, tried dielectric grease with no luck and then used this stuff. That was two years ago and so far it has not been back. My contacts were as new with no corrosion before I tried this contact enhancer so YMMV.

Let me know Joe, and I can pay you a visit.

Edited by RC Randy

HI Randy - LTNS! Truthfully, I haven't even dicked with it yet - been too busy with other stuff. If you want to come down, that would be cool - we need to touch base again, anyway. When's a good time for you?

"Have you done the loom fix yet?"

Nope. Fixing to do that, tho. tks.

So far, tho, no other problems with the bike. :-) Tks again for all the input.