CBR1100XX.org Forum

handlebar risers

RoyXX

I need some info on stock triple tree setup.My bike came with 1 inch riser blocks under the clamp on bars.I am installing clamp on conversion risers to convensional bars.I would like to know if when prev owner installed the riser blocks he had to unclamp triple trees and slide the fork tubes up to make room for them in between top tree and clamp on bars.I will leave them in for added lift if they dont change geometry of stock rake/trail

Stock bars clamp on forks above the top triple clamp. So forks stick up over the stock top triple high enough to let the bars clamp on. There is a circlip on the forks that prevents the stock bars from falling off in case of catastrophic failure of the bolts clamping the bars to the fork.

Is that what you are looking for?

so stock the handlebar clamps are right down on the top triple tree with about 1/4 inch of tube sticking up past risers + clips...so to install 1inch riser blocks he lowered the front end 1 inch.thanks,Im removing them when I install the new bars

Not necessarily....

Factory spec is 39 mm from the flat top of the fork tube... to the Top of the triple.

here...

post-726-0-71308900-1397217715_thumb.png

However.... MOST of the guys here... drop the Tree's down a little bit to make the steering a little more responsive. Either that or SHim the rear shock.... OR some combination of Both.

Edited by EVLXX

thank you,39mm is about an inch so the front forks were only lowered about 6mm.I appreciate the help guys,I know very little about sport bikes and dont want to mess up the handleing of the bike when I change the clamps and bars.All my experience is with hd,old triumphs and such.I love the xx and am trying to make it more comfortable for long rides.I also have to do something with the mushy front springs.I weigh 220 lbs

where does the rear shim go?if I can make it handle better im game...I do love the twisties

where does the rear shim go?if I can make it handle better im game..

It goes on top of the shock and under the frame, right in front of the battery box.

loosen nut on the top of the shock from above, lift tail of bike, insert spacer, tighten nut

Pretty cheap and easy task that will make you say WOW the next corner you come to!

http://www.bikebits.us/store.php?CategoryID=15

My biased source for said Spacer!

Edited by John01XX

39mm is actually just over 1.5 inches

25.4 mm = 1 inch. most people just say 25 for quick reference

6mm drop on the front forks is a big drop depending on setup, and can be dangerous if you add the 6mm spacer also. You see a lot of the biker boys slam their bikes almost 2inches at the trade off of them handling like shit. But they also lower the rear, where you might be raising it.

I would at least raise the front a little bit back to stock till you see what way you plan to go.

Just a note....Genmar risers are the most commonly seen.

A block goes under the clamp on bar and a cosmetic plate is placed in the hole where a fork tube used to stick out above the clamp on bar, because the bar is now raised slightly higher than the fork tube.

If you have Genmar risers, its probable that the height of the fork tube was not altered. If you have risers and the fork tube sticks up out of the clamp on bar, the ride height has been altered.

My recommendation is that you measure the fork tube rise so that you at least know where you stand. I also recommend putting it back to stock height until you have a better understanding of how the bike handles. Then begin your modifications from the baseling once you know what you need.

I looked at PDF of the stock set up the top that sticks out of the clamps must be cosmetic.I'm going to set the front end up stock when I convert to LSL kit and shim the rear.thanks for the help guys