CBR1100XX.org Forum

drag while riding

Wolf1999

I've been having some electronic issues with my bike and I think I got it narrowed down to my regulator. While I'm riding I can feel my bike slow down a little and pick back up. Kinda like someone put a rope on my bike and every once in a while they'll pull on it to slow me down then give me slack. No drop in rpm and no difference in the way the bike sounds. Any ideas?

Something with an errant brake pad? Sounds like a plug or coil dropping out except for the lack of RPM change. Though that sounds unlikely with a non viscous coupling. The rear wheel is mechanically linked to the crankshaft - unless you are adding throttle to keep the revs steady, any loss in speed would necessarily be at the cost of engine speed.

Is this bike FI, or carbed? Intermittent injector, or FP issue? A voltmeter would be a helpful diagnostic tool, if only to eliminate the regulator.

So, your first sentence has nothing to do with your second sentence?

Regulator is a common fail item, but isn't necessarily the cause of a dead battery. I think someone mentioned that a voltmeter could be a helpful diagnostic tool, YMMV.

As mentioned, the brakes are the first suspect to eliminate--a hot caliper is a smoking gun (pad drag, stuck piston, dirty fluid, etc.). Otherwise make certain your fuel isn't contaminated (moisture/water, or just plain old gas) and the in-tank filter isn't compromised or clogged. If it's electrical, there are typically other symptoms that start popping up (intermittant or erratic gauge/dash behavior, periodic loss-of-ground stumbles, etc.). Check the harness connector near the regulator--corrosion can be an issue and the fix is well known (search this site for details).

An on-board voltmeter can be a valuable diagnostic tool.

Just don't overlook the simple stuff in your gremlin hunt. Best of Luck!

Need more info, but my spidey-sense says it's a fueling issue. Especially if the problem is most noticed cruising down the highway at a steady speed. Even FI bikes have a lean spot that can cause serging.

Edited by jon haney

Jon may well be on to something re: a fueling issue . . . (I can't believe I didn't think of this before--oops, just noticed that Mike/iFanboi mentioned it in post #3) . . . Lift the tank and check the vent lines from the FI bodies for raw fuel. They should be dry--if not, your fuel pressure regulator (FPR) is most likely compromised. More specically, the FPR's (internal) diaphragm membrane may have a hole/split that allows raw fuel to foul the vent lines. It can start out as a subtle hic-cup or unanticipated burble when running, but over time only gets worse.

The good news: it's an easy fix. The FPR is on the end of the fuel rail (right side), easily replaced.

(In my '99-2000 Service Manual, you can find diagrams, pics, and specic instructions; FPR p.5-47, 48, 49 . . . Throttle bodies' vent lines p. 5-60 thru 63)

You can find specic parts numbers at Ron Ayers' site . . . http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/default.asp

Parts Fiche - vent tubing detal

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=6766221&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1999&fveh=251890

Parts Fiche - FPR (part 18)

http://www.ronayersmotorcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=6766214&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1999&fveh=251890

Edited by ironmike

You have a 99 model.. it's a known problem with the ecu mapping on the 99 and 00 models. They fixed it in 01 when they eliminated the bar sensor, and changed the fuel programming.

You can fix the majorety of it with a PC2.. by adding a 1 value in the 5% throttle position map.

Other than that you just need to practice being just a little more on the throttle or off the throttle while cruising.