CBR1100XX.org Forum

Check engine light...

racer212

So the old Bluebird is getting ready to click over 40k miles. My first tool strap just broke so its officially just broke in.

Fall of 2013 I rode the bike, and a couple times a check engine light came on - bike fully warmed up and running highway speed, light came on when rolling off from full throttle to near zero. Bike had a throttle position sensor code - but after having the technicians check it out the light never came back, even though I fixed nothing.

Then this past fall - exact same scenario. Check light when rolling off, TPS code in memory - but when we go to looking for a problem the light disappears.

I figure something is loose or dirty. I spent a few hours going over wiring harness etc. TPS sensor tests good so I havent messed with it. It just wierd to be when we go looking for trouble the trouble runs and hides.

Anyone have some shared wisdom on this? Could winter fuel blend changes or something be causing that?

I would test the TPS with an analog meter through it's entire range to make sure it doesn't have a bad spot somewhere in the sweep. If that and the harnesses/connections all check out I suppose the computer may just have a glitch that when the signal drops rapidly from full throttle the computer thinks there's a problem. I've seen cars have issues where the computer shows a fault code for one thing when the cause is something else. In some cases just an unexpected input will throw a code when there's nothing actually wrong.

Is it a '99-'00 ? Have a look for a wire loom fix. There is a test plug which can oxidize and cause that kind of problem.

Hmm. I wonder if that plug is looked at when we go looking for a problem, and thats why it disappears.