CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire deal not my tires

Not to be a nay-sayer but are those the Conti's under recall?

Continental has begun a voluntary recall for its ContiMotion line of sport-touring tires. Affecting 1,700 units in the market, Continental says the tires in question are sized at 180/60R16 and under certain conditions these tires may have uneven wear, groove cracking, and in some cases even belt lift.

It goes without saying that these circumstances would leave the tires unsafe for use, though Continental has not received any reports about accidents resulting from these conditions. Most affected by the situation are Honda Gold Wing 1800 owners, especially in cases where there has been over-loading and under-inflating of the tire.

Continental says most of the affected tires were sold in the US during 2011 and 2012, with small quantities going overseas. Owners can identify affected tires by their DOT serial numbers, which in this case are H60LJJE5110 through H60LJJE3811.

Continental is currently working to identify consumers who purchased these affected tires, and will notify affected owners about the details of this voluntary recall program. Concerned ContiMotion tire owners should visit Continental’s website for more information.

Source: Continental

I bought a set of ContiMotion some years ago, installed the rear and, after 1000 miles or so, it started to shred on the outer 1/3 of the tread. I took it off and never did try the front. I didn't like the way it handled, either. It felt "squirrely".

If anybody wants them, lemme know.