CBR1100XX.org Forum

engine issues

blacksheep

Engine miss firing at high rpms and engine want restart when engine is hot.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Engine miss firing at high rpms and engine want restart when engine is hot.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

2000 cbr1100xx 24000 miles

Check your battery By swapping it with another.

Check your RR by measuring voltage across the terminals while running. Report back.

Edited by TuffguyF4i

I'm guessing a fuel-related problem. Check the fuel tank vent hose for a kink, or just open the gas cap for a hot start, and see if it starts. Maybe FPR?

Need more detailed info.

Battery and/or charging system. If the fuel pressure regulator is leaking enough to effect power and starting it should have a rough idle too. Carlos' 2000 had a noticeable loss of power when the battery was weak, I was able to stay with him on my SuperHawk on a speed run.

• 2 weeks later...

First start of the season started right up alittle rough which I expected.

I was throttling to clear carb and notice slight miss, gradually got worse

Higher rpms. I had to attend to other matters shut off engine. Came back 5 or so minutes later engine would not start. Revisited about half hour later engine started right up.

Thats it in a nutshell.

You need more than one failed attempt to start to have some useful info, but now knowing that the 'high RPM miss' was under no load I'm with FRP being at fault, assuming it does it again.

• 3 weeks later...

Helpful would be a more thorough explanation.

Does the engine spin over well when hot but simply not start? Or does it have difficulty turning over?

Yes turns just fine, eventually battery did loose power while cranking.

A little history, this was a barn find which came with a mouse condo built in the air filter housing.

Last summer I did nothing but clean out housing replace air filter with k & n filter ran OK filled tank and added seafoam for the winter.

Now on top of everything else found that chain was bad figured that was a quick fix so I bought new sprockets and chain . Upon starting that project noticed old front sprocket was loose even though bolt was tight so I removed and installed new sprocket and it is loose as well does this mean I need to replace my balance shaft? Looked at several part sites only thing I could find is a complete assembled shaft, how hard is the balance shaft to replace?

I do apologize for not responding quicker, been busy with work and family. Just started working on my bike again.

Correct. If you're referring to your drive chain and sprockets, the drive sprocket floats on the output shaft even after the bolt is fully torqued.

Good to know, thank you