CBR1100XX.org Forum

Parts to save?

blackhawkxx

I have plans to keep my Bird until I expire or it does and was thinking that as the years go on, parts might be hard to come by. What parts do you think would be best to round up for the future? Since I have a 97, I hope to come across some carb parts but really don't know what else. I think R/R and the timing chain part (can't think of the name) shouldn't be a problem.

• Upvote 1

You might want to consider wheels. Other parts that are year-model specific.

Edited....

The blackbird will undoubtedly be my last big bike. I understand what you are contemplating.

Edited by RXX
  • Upvote 1

Forks, maybe a header, but Dekelvic seems to have the header covered in the aftermarket. The Brits seem to have radiator issues, but probably because they ride in the winter. ECU?

The only Honda part that will become scarce is going to be the stator cover. I know of no aftermarket manufacturer for that, and also know of no cover you could use to protect it. You would figure by now somebody would say "you can use one off of a ______ and make a cut here and it will fit" but I haven't seen anything. It's pretty thin and if the bike ever falls over at all it's going to get scratched.

Parts availability is supply and demand,if you really think stator covers will be the only part that becomes scarce you'll be in for a few surprises.NO one can say what and what won't be available 5-10 yrs from now,all kinds of parts are discontinued on a regular basis.We have choices for reg's,stators can be rewound,but carb boots would be a good idea,I've seen a LOT of various models be running fine except for dry cracked intakes that can't be purchased new anymore.Electrical connectors or better yet a decent wire harness stored in a sealed container,rad hoses.

The other thing people don't realize is the aftermarket parts production will subside as well.

Carb boots and other rubber parts will go bad with age, not as much as in use, but they're not eternal either. Just something to consider. Anything that can be upgraded or rebuilt, like R/R & stator, I don't think are worth hoarding.

Buddy had his carb boots go bad on his Yamaha couple years ago. Pricey? even used ones were $150 each and they were still 20 yrs old.

He used liquid electrical tape, comes in a can with a brush applicator. Nice coat on the outside filled in all the cracks and sealed them back up.

Been that way for several years now.

Stators don't bother me, you can find places to rewind them easy enough, R/R can be used off many bikes with the change of connectors like mentioned.

fuel pumps, ECU's FPR will start to get hard to find in the next decade.

Parts availability is supply and demand,if you really think stator covers will be the only part that becomes scarce you'll be in for a few surprises.NO one can say what and what won't be available 5-10 yrs from now,all kinds of parts are discontinued on a regular basis.We have choices for reg's,stators can be rewound,but carb boots would be a good idea,I've seen a LOT of various models be running fine except for dry cracked intakes that can't be purchased new anymore.Electrical connectors or better yet a decent wire harness stored in a sealed container,rad hoses.

The other thing people don't realize is the aftermarket parts production will subside as well.

Yeah, I'm watching that with my CBX and my 900F. Parts are getting "interesting" to find.

So far the Hurricane hasn't needed anything than a kill switch cleaning. I'd like a new clear windshield - it has yellowed from UV a 'tidge.

Those switches are exposed. They do corrode sometimes.

Switches are another I've seen be discontinued often.Did notice my old 600F2 switch was just like the carb XX l/h switch but shorter wires.I've had both of mine apart for cleaning on my 99.

Like the liquid electrical tape idea.

CBX? Shit,that stuff has been hard to find for years,I had 2 customers constantly restoring,1 guy was the local CBX spare parts hoarder,1/2 the parts they were looking for were discontinued.

Think about wear items that can only be had from Honda. Carb boots are a great example. Cush drive is another. Maybe brake caliper seals.

Don't worry about the clutch. You can order plates for a KZ-1000, and just have an extra, or all thick plates for a Hayabusa.

Many of the peripheral things could be upgraded with newer model parts - anything fork/brake/switchgear, I'd guess. For instance, it would be cool to have, like, USD forks and radial brakes, maybe?