CBR1100XX.org Forum

Need some car help - Miata coding

DBLXX

2013 GT 2300 miles bought Feb 2013. Sat from Nov to this morning in a heated garage.

Code P0301 - Misfire cylinder 1

It coded 1 time last year which was a fuel mixture code. Went away before I got home and never came back.

Took her out this morning after winter hibernation and it stuttered for a second and went away. Couple minutes later check engine light flashes and scan gauge reports the p0301.

2 seconds later CEL goes away and the code disappears but is saved in the memory of the scan gauge.

The rest of the ride home it's smooth as butter.

The dealer is going to say unless it does it permanently or the CEL is on there is not much they can do.

Can you guys give me some suggestions knowing I want to avoid the dealer like the plague.

Thanks

After sitting all winter, I wouldn't worry about a burp. Run through the tank of gas the car was stored with, get some fresh gas in the thing and drive it hard to get it hot and possibly drive out some water molecules from the electrics.

Called the dealer....they said if it's running fine now let it be. If the CEL comes on and doesn't go away....bring it in.

Old gas? Change Plugs? Leave it be?

After sitting all winter, I wouldn't worry about a burp. Run through the tank of gas the car was stored with, get some fresh gas in the thing and drive it hard to get it hot and possibly drive out some water molecules from the electrics.

Awesome....thanks Chew. I don't know much about cars and will take any direction I'm given.

Much appreciated. I'll report back periodically.

I'm under warranty for 5 full years so I'm not overly concerned but don't want to do more damage.

I'll drive it !!!

Thanks Joe. Should I maybe pull the plugs and wipe them down too?

I don't exactly know what you said but I'm assuming it was like my civic. Unscrew the coil pack and pull it out then put it back? Those are the things that connect to the spark plugs?

All of them?

Thanks

Thanks Joe. Should I maybe pull the plugs and wipe them down too?

I don't exactly know what you said but I'm assuming it was like my civic. Unscrew the coil pack and pull it out then put it back? Those are the things that connect to the spark plugs?

All of them?

Thanks

No offense Dave, but if you are asking that question, it isn't likely that you puling them and putting them back in will solve any problems. Although coil packs and wires look very rigid, they can easily be messed up if handled improperly.

It is a brand new jap car! I'm sure it isn't a big deal and if it keeps it up, you always have the dealer to fall back on. If you have to fiddle with a new car where is the perk in buying something with 0 miles? Drive it. I'd throw in some higher octane fuel (ethanol free) if you can get it for good measure.

No offense taken at all Tuff.

I did what Joe said and pulled the coil packs. I did all of them since I was in there. I put a dab of dialectric on the tip of the spark plug and the dab on the electric connector that goes into the coil pack.

It hasn't reoccured. I am half way through the tank of gas that has been in there since October/November. I put STABIL in it...but it's still 6/7 month old gas and I didn't start the car 1 time. Not once.

I will find a station that has ethanol free gas in the area and maybe put a can of seafoam in the fresh tank of fuel too.

I appreciate all the help.

I am under warranty until 2019 so not THAT concerned but REALLY hate dealers.

Honestly Dave, I think you're way over tinkering it. Just drive it a bit. She sat for awhile in the winter and was a little cranky for a second. No biggie. Modern emission systems can be so sensitive that any little burp can trigger a code - if its gone and not coming back I wouldnt try to fix what aint broke.