CBR1100XX.org Forum

Weak front brakes after delink

runner

I finally went with the JAWS (UK company) delink kit and the rear brake issues are history. However, my front brakes are really weak. I have bled them ... but guess I need to bleed them a lot more. This thing will stop 'right now' when finished.

The delink kit has a 'dead' bolt plug for the middle piston. Logically, the front brakes should the operate about as they did before delinking (still using the outer (2) pistons).

Any recommendations on restoring front brake power? (I run EBC HH pads)

Is the lever mushy or are they just not biting the way you'd like?

Something to keep in mind is you used to get some rear brake that you're not getting anymore, that may honestly be the difference. I'm not sure what, if any, effect using only the outer pistons has, but I drilled my calipers and went to a 5/8" bore front master and they worked great.

Bleed, bleed & re-bleed. They are much better now. I will update further after living with the delink for a few hundred miles.

If you allowed the brake master to suck air it probably has some trapped in it. With the bike on the sidestand and the bars full left the handle end of the master should be higher than the outlet. Pumping the handle in this position will allow trapped air to bubble up into the reservoir effectively bleeding the master, often referred to as 'bench bleeding'. Any time I have to remove lines I zip-tie the lever partially squeezed to prevent the master draining. Similar can be done with the rear brake and brakes on a car. With the master piston moved away from it's relaxed position the piston seal covers the hole in the reservoir so it can't empty and reduces how much fluid will drain during work. Regular bleeding is unlikely to ever remove air in the master cylinder as the outlet is not at the top where the bubbles reside. What you might find if you don't bleed the master is that as you ride it slowly gets better because those bubbles get out the fill hole of the master little by little when moving the bike around and hitting bumps.

Edited by superhawk996
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Reporting back after a few hundred miles w/the delink. For me, it works great!

I simply like full control of both front & rear brakes.

Highly recommended....