CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brake button cleaning

redxxrdr

this was discussed years ago, on the old forum format.

God daughter just bought a used Ninja 650. Pulse while braking.

I haven't checked runout yet, but the buttons don't rotate, whole bike is dirty on the mechanicals.

Does this help? Can it hurt?

My bikes are clean enough to rotate the buttons easily.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nqcHw_t3QlU

Thanks,

Craig

That video sure was painful to watch. Will it help, not sure but I can't see it hurting anything with the cleaning part. I'm not sure about putting the lube on the buttons though. Centrifugal force may force any oil that is hiding under the buttons on the braking part of the rotor.

• Upvote 1

I have to do a similar procedure on my aftermarket "Stealth" rotors annually.

Forget the lubricate on rotors. The brake cleaner works great.

I stopped at Home Depot and picked up the correct size and style bolt to make the job easier

Notice the bolt and nut have a washer with teeth so no extra washers are needed. 50cents cost.

1 in bolt and use a socket to spin the bobbin fast while spraying the brake cleaner.

I find it most effective by using a helper to flood the bobbin while I am ratcheting the bolt as fast as I can to flush out debris

post-77-0-57602200-1447631775_thumb.jpg

Edited by John01XX
  • Upvote 1

I ran into another deal, caused the same feel. the pins the brake pads slide on were dirty, for lack of a better term. Caused the pads to hit just the outside of the rotor causing localized heat and some warping, but once the pins were clean the pads sat flush with the rotor face and heat was equal and pulsing gone. Has happened over time twice.

But I ride under some rather tough conditions. And my brakes are not stock BB brakes. So may not be the problem with yours, just something to look at for a solution.

Thanks,

Yes that video was tough. But it got the point across.

Nikki bought this bike from a private shop. Supposed to have been gone through.

Looks like recent chain and sprocket. Very dirty.

Chain looked very loose to me. I mention it, and next time I saw it , there was 3/8 inch of play.

She says that no one touched it, I suspect boyfriend. He rides a cruiser, and told me that all cruisers should have the chain as tight as possible. I suggested that he read a manual, and adjusted the chain to spec.

Amazing, a clunking noise at start off went away with a chain cleaned and adjusted.

Nikki's mom had a stroke a few weeks ago at 47. So I did a quick look over of the brakes, then off to visit rehab.

I plan to be more thorough soon.

I see a set of HH pads in Nikki's future.

She is teaching herself, cash limited for MSF.

On another note, Kirsten is taking her MSF this week. She Will ride my SV after that.

Some of you will remember it as Bills yellow one that took out Hobie a few years back.

It is much better now, and blue.

It's the same year as Suzi's.

So now I have more things to worry about.

Clean the bobbins as well as the pads and all moving contact points of the pads and calipers; slider pins, springs, etc. Lube shouldn't be used on the bobbins; could get in bad places, and may hold and accumulate dust. Be careful with the brakeclean not getting on paint, plastic, tires, etc.

I just checked both my bikes and the bobbins don't turn by hand on either. I have pretty good grip strength, they wouldn't budge. I'm not gonna mess with them because the brakes feel fine.

Thanks,

Yes that video was tough. But it got the point across.

Nikki bought this bike from a private shop. Supposed to have been gone through.

Looks like recent chain and sprocket. Very dirty.

Chain looked very loose to me. I mention it, and next time I saw it , there was 3/8 inch of play.

She says that no one touched it, I suspect boyfriend. He rides a cruiser, and told me that all cruisers should have the chain as tight as possible. I suggested that he read a manual, and adjusted the chain to spec.

Amazing, a clunking noise at start off went away with a chain cleaned and adjusted.

Nikki's mom had a stroke a few weeks ago at 47. So I did a quick look over of the brakes, then off to visit rehab.

I plan to be more thorough soon.

I see a set of HH pads in Nikki's future.

She is teaching herself, cash limited for MSF.

On another note, Kirsten is taking her MSF this week. She Will ride my SV after that.

Some of you will remember it as Bills yellow one that took out Hobie a few years back.

It is much better now, and blue.

It's the same year as Suzi's.

So now I have more things to worry about.

Craig,

Just remember to keep March 18th open for RacerXX attendance for these new riders.

It is looking to be very economical this year at $135.00.

Never, ever touched mine. Never felt anything weird. I would think that checking for buttons that turn would be best done when the rotors are warm, as heat will expand them a little, and therefore make the buttons a little looser.

John,

We were talking about racer XX this weekend.

Both girls expressed interest.

They both need some seat time first. But we are going to try.

Very cool and your son?

Should be getting an info page up very soon with early registration.

Pricing will be right this year as I had a year to get it better organized.

Looks like it will be $135.00 per rider

Hope to see you there