CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird tie-down

runninn

I use a canyon dancer type tie down. Works. It's tad hard on the grips and mine are so old they are starting to dissolve anyway (the grips I mean). The angle is bad, it rubs against the plastic if your tie downs aren't far enough apart.

I've used a long tie down and wrap it around the grips. Do it right and it comes off and clears the plastics. Put it on as snug as you can and tighten...lifting the bike vertical OFF of its kickstand. Leave kickstand down in case it starts to loosen.

I have tie-downs with the big hooks on each end. The hook will fit over the lower triple clamp, and since it is steel and can't be seen easily, I don't worry about scratches. You do have to be careful with the angle of the strap so it doesn't rub the leading edge of the fairing or the fender.

Buy yourself a Baxley wheel chock, not a cheap knock-off. Roll the bike into the Baxley and flip the lock arm and pin it. Next, use two tie down straps and attach them to the passenger pegs and pull down and forward with them. Done! I've hauled both track bikes this way for the last 7 years and have NEVER had an issue. I know the Bird is heavier than my 600RR's but I've also hauled my ST1300 this same way and it outweighs the Bird by a couple hundred pounds.

Buy yourself a Baxley wheel chock, not a cheap knock-off. Roll the bike into the Baxley and flip the lock arm and pin it. Next, use two tie down straps and attach them to the passenger pegs and pull down and forward with them. Done! I've hauled both track bikes this way for the last 7 years and have NEVER had an issue. I know the Bird is heavier than my 600RR's but I've also hauled my ST1300 this same way and it outweighs the Bird by a couple hundred pounds.

THIS!

I have one of these in my trailer. I once forgot to put the tie-downs on the drag-bike. More than 200 miles later, bike hadn't moved. There wasn't even a scratch on the wall 3" away from the left clip-on. Trailer even has a torsion axle and is kinda bouncey. A Baxley is a bargain at $250.

Edited by jon haney

I think last time I hauled the bird was maybe to NEXXT in 2004, and maybe once before that. Used the canyon dancer on the bars for the straps in the front, and to the back peg brackets.

In a pickup the the stake pocket tie downs are high enough I dont think it really rubbed the fairing. Maybe put a few layers of blue masking tape on there if you have an issue. I think if tie down points are low, might be better from the lower triple. Beware the front fender doesn't hit anything. I think I had to have a block of wood in front to keep from contacting the front bed wall of my truck.

Since then, I bought a Condor front chock stand but have never used it. I recall the guy doing a demo to sell them. The bike was in the stand, and he was pulling the bike so hard to the side it looked like the tire was going to peel off the rim, but the bike would not come out of the stand. A buddy of mine used to load his race bike into a van with one of them and no tie downs.

I wouldn't haul a bike in a Baxley without the rearend being strapped down and pulled forward, at least not on purpose, but it would probably stay just where I put it.....they are that good. I've got two of them in the trailer obviously, as I haul two track bikes, one is mine the other is my wife's bike.

If you look it's from discount ramps. Wally world sells a lot of things from their web site that other companys actually ship to you.

That's definitely a bargain.

Lay the bike down and pile your gear on top of it. Its goin NOWHERE.

HEY, BIRD! Where you goin?

NOWHERE!

Lay the bike down and pile XXBird Slapper UNDER it. Its goin NOWHERE..............Fixed that for ya.

• Upvote 1