CBR1100XX.org Forum

WTB thermostat 97 bird

It will cross to an automotive thermostat most likely. Less than $10.

In that case, all you can do is pull it and take it to an auto parts store to match it up...unless someone knows which make/model will fit.

Thats what I did with my Yammy. Worth the effort to save $30 on the principle alone. Bring a caliper to measure OD and thickness and have at it.

Unlikely, or at least difficult to ID.

In that case, all you can do is pull it and take it to an auto parts store to match it up...unless someone knows which make/model will fit.

It has a funky off-set that makes it fairly special. I think it'll be hard to find an automotive one that fits unless it's an exact copy.

Anyone have a thermostat for carbed bird? (no idea if same as FI models) There is one on ebay for 15 bucks but I would rather buy from someone here to ensure it is working if ya know what I mean!

What was the failure on yours?

It has a funky off-set that makes it fairly special. I think it'll be hard to find an automotive one that fits unless it's an exact copy.

Anyone have a thermostat for carbed bird? (no idea if same as FI models) There is one on ebay for 15 bucks but I would rather buy from someone here to ensure it is working if ya know what I mean!

it was easy when I did my Yammy. Caliper, a good parts guy, and I was in business in 15 minutes. I think it crossed to a dodge pickup (Small one). All that matters is diameter, flange thickness, and basic configuration so it fits in the housing, and temp rating. The one I bought had a brass restricter that wasnt in the original so I cut it off with a pair of side cutters to leave just the open weep hole. Even that was the same size.

Not sure if it is indeed bad but I changed out the switch, the radiator, and the cap...hardwired the fan and still having boiling condition...temp gauge doesn't go above half but it boiled into the reservoir when turned off still

Not sure if it is indeed bad but I changed out the switch, the radiator, and the cap...hardwired the fan and still having boiling condition...temp gauge doesn't go above half but it boiled into the reservoir when turned off still

If it's not overheating it's not the thermostat. The thermostat will have no effect on boiling, only temperature control. Boiling is either too hot, straight water, or a pressure leak at the cap. Did you replace the cap with OE or something that looked right? Check the radiator/cap sealing surface for damage? Lastly check the cap over and make sure there's no defects.

Boiling can actually be bubbling from the engine cylinder pressure charging the cooling system. Do a pressure check, replace the rad cap, or check it too. A sudden loss of pressure ( when the engine is shut off when there is a gasket leak) can lead to a quick boil/ overheat/ puke into the reservoir.