CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question for the BB know-it-alls

jon haney

I grabbed a random case bolt and checked it against my el-cheapo thread gauge. It shows as 1.0 pitch (metric), but you should get confirmation as it's been proven that I can't measure worth a damn.

Thanks, guys.

I've been very diligent with the torque wrench all these years and have never stripped one, but I think it's coming soon. I'm only using 80 in-lbs. and it still feels like a lot of rotation before the "click". :unsure:

Edited by jon haney

Jon, what are you doing? What's a stud?

I know I have a picture of me around here some where. :lol: Wait.....see my avatar. :wub:

A stud is threaded on both ends, just like the ones that hold the exhaust header to the engine on the Bird. With all the adjustments I have to do to my lock-up, the bolts for the cover are on and off a lot. The threaded holes in the engine case (aluminum) are wearing-out, and will eventually "strip". A stud (with Loc-tite) lets you use nuts to hold the cover on (steel on steel), and therefore, eliminates the wear of the aluminum threads. They also hold the cover in place while you put the nuts on.

Edited by jon haney

• 2 months later...

Jon, you need to come down sometime and do Grouse Creek road with me. That way, you may remember how to go left and right other than at the end of the strip. Give Randy a call, and we'll make it a threesome. He could probably use the practice, too.

Jon, you need to come down sometime and do Grouse Creek road with me. That way, you may remember how to go left and right other than at the end of the strip. Give Randy a call, and we'll make it a threesome. He could probably use the practice, too.

Sounds like a good idea, Joe, but I'll want it to be a little warmer (cold tires and all). Of course, I'll be on the Triumph, and I haven't forgotten how to go right and left.

The stud kit is on hold for the moment. I'm looking into a slider or other type of engine-driven clutch, which will likely require a spacer for the cover and longer than standard studs. Thanks XXitanium for the link. That's a better site than I found.

post-1134-0-30675000-1418150218_thumb.jp

Edited by jon haney

• 1 month later...

Sounds like a good idea, Joe, but I'll want it to be a little warmer (cold tires and all). Of course, I'll be on the Triumph, and I haven't forgotten how to go right and left.

The stud kit is on hold for the moment. I'm looking into a slider or other type of engine-driven clutch, which will likely require a spacer for the cover and longer than standard studs. Thanks XXitanium for the link. That's a better site than I found.

Thats a cool pic.

Thats a cool pic.

Thanks. You need to come out to Hallett this summer and do a lapping day. Then you can get a pic of yourself doing that. The track photographer sometimes takes shots from angles that make it look like you're really leaned over, even if you're not.

What kind of gasket do you use if you are continuously taking the cover off? Did you make one out of a sheet of rubber or something?

Nope. Just the stock gasket. Yes, I have to replace it a lot, but if you glue the gasket to the cover with Hondabond and remove it fairly often, it doesn't stick to the engine cases. Also, if I immediately wipe the oil off the gasket each time I remove the cover, it doesn't get soft and will last a lot longer. A gasket will last me 15-20 removals.

Not sure about that Joe. Not a lot of metal where those threads are. I'd be afraid to drill any of those holes larger.