CBR1100XX.org Forum

How long should headlight bulbs last??

SR71BLACKBIRDXX

Wifey has a 2007 Santa Fe. It takes H7 bulbs for high and low beam. The originals lasted close to 50k. It now has @ 75k and I've replaced both high and low beams at least once. I had to replace another one this morning.

I know, I know...don't touch glass, check voltage, check corrosion. I'm not using any funky, bright bulbs, or some off brand. Always Philips or Sylvania regular old bulbs. Seems like I'm changing them out every 6 months. Is this acceptable?? I sold my last 3 vehicles with the ORIGINAL bulbs. I have read that leaving the daytime running lights on shortens lifespan. Any thoughts??

No they should last longer than that.

You checked most of what I would have. But I did have one POS Ford that water had made it's way into the headlight. Would get hot turn to vapor then would condense on the bulb. Went throw a few bulbs before I figured out what it was. Cleaned and dryed inside of the light and found a small crack, glued it and it was fine after that.

Washboard and rough roads can cut down how long they last if that's commonly driven on.

No they should last longer than that.

You checked most of what I would have. But I did have one POS Ford that water had made it's way into the headlight. Would get hot turn to vapor then would condense on the bulb. Went throw a few bulbs before I figured out what it was. Cleaned and dryed inside of the light and found a small crack, glued it and it was fine after that.

Washboard and rough roads can cut down how long they last if that's commonly driven on.

New plastic housings are good for awhile and then suck. If you plan on running a vehicle for years this is what you get if they dont seal well.

No to silverstar. I've used them in the past, and your right. They are brighter, but burn out faster. I checked with her last night, and her OCD confirms that I've changed all 4 at least once, and a couple of them twice. Strange. This is the first time I've had any experience with H7 bulbs. They are held in place similar to our bikes. (That little piece of wire you push in and move to the side) I thought it was a bad way to hold them, but I don't remember changing out bulbs on any of my XX's or VFR's.

Just a thought....motorcycle bulbs are mechanically similar/identical to auto bulbs in same part number range but built to a higher spec for vibration and harsh environment survivability. Replace H7 auto with H7 moto if it's worth the extra dollah for extended lifespan maybe....???

Edit: And check your output voltage at high(er) rpm possibly...

Edited by Warp11XX
  • Upvote 1

From what I can find...

Standard OEM H7 55W bulbs will generally have a rated bulb lifespan of 500 hours.

Higher output bulbs, Like the Silverstars, that have slightly different gas chemical make-ups in order to produces a white-r light , have shorter lifespans of around 200 hours.

Most of the bulbs in a parts store are Chinese, some may be held to higher standards, but a name brand doesn't guarantee quality. Try whatever the factory ones were or Osram and see what happens. Running them full time will obviously shorten their lives, but shouldn't suddenly be shorter lived than the originals unless the bulbs are crappy or the car is doing something to them.

I had replacement bulbs go fast. They were the super-bright kind.

At the store, I read the package and found that the brighter the bulb, the shorter the rated life. So I just bought the OEM version rather than the brighter ones that burn out sooner.