CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oh great and wise all-knowing XX experts.

racer212

What differences are there in the front end between a carb and 99/00 fuelie XX? Specifically, triples, wheels, fenders etc. Debating purchasing cbrbears Ohlins forks, trying to figure if it would fit my 2000 bird, or what I would need to put them on. I have RC Component wheels and stock brake rotors.

There are differences, but not in the fitment.

Carb and fuelie triples interchange. Forks interchange.

The front wheels, rotors, axle, and spacers as a set interchange between early and late.

Brake calipers are the same, fender is the same. Your top triple tree is different only in that the hole for the ignition switch is larger on later models.

I think you need his calipers to match the Ohlins forks, but you need to check with him on that.

There are differences, but not in the fitment.

Carb and fuelie triples interchange. Forks interchange.

The front wheels, rotors, axle, and spacers as a set interchange between early and late.

Brake calipers are the same, fender is the same. Your top triple tree is different only in that the hole for the ignition switch is larger on later models.

I think you need his calipers to match the Ohlins forks, but you need to check with him on that.

I think your right on that, but will those brakes go on my rotors?

You'll have to verify that with him. He has the Dymag wheels as well.

If I had to say, I'd say yes. The Dymag wheels are supposedly made for each individual bike, not a standard wheel and a bunch of adapters. That would mean that his rotors are in the stock spacial relationship to everything else, and his calipers fit them.

I'm not 100% on the offset of fi rotors to carb rotors and wheel hub width which would cause axle shoulder and spacer differences causing front wheel and rotor misalignment. I'm sure anyone would want to know 100% before purchasing and as I'm not out for the money I don't want to sell them without ensuring they will indeed work. Already understand the front fender and calipers go with the forks just not sure of the rest ie axle wheel rotors.

I'm not 100% on the offset of fi rotors to carb rotors and wheel hub width which would cause axle shoulder and spacer differences causing front wheel and rotor misalignment. I'm sure anyone would want to know 100% before purchasing and as I'm not out for the money I don't want to sell them without ensuring they will indeed work. Already understand the front fender and calipers go with the forks just not sure of the rest ie axle wheel rotors.

Hub width should be the same but I know for a fact that the width between rotors is the same. I'm able to swap wheels from my '97 to the '00 with no rotor fitment issues. As Bird said, only thing that has to happen is that the entire axle/spacer assy has to go with the wheel. Meaning 97 axle, spacers, and wheel (with stock 97 rotors mounted in stock 97 position) fits in 2000 forks.

Hub width should be the same but I know for a fact that the width between rotors is the same. I'm able to swap wheels from my '97 to the '00 with no rotor fitment issues. As Joe said, only thing that has to happen is that the entire axle/spacer assy has to go with the wheel. Meaning 97 axle, spacers, and wheel (with stock 97 rotors mounted in stock 97 position) fits in 2000 forks.

I have the aftermarket wheel, and I'm not gonna replace that. I would think if everything is the same at worst care maybe I need 97 model axel spacers and an outside chance of some brake rotors.

Now that Ive thought about it, I think when I got the bike from JB4XX he told me the wheel on it was for a older XX, so it has early model spacers on it. I'll hit up Josh and see if that's right.

For what its worth.....

Regardless of the year, the distance between rotors is the same. And while the early and late model rotors do not interchange on the early and late model hubs, its potentially worth noting that the offset of the early rotors is 3+ millimeters different than the later models...which by definition would infer that the hubs differ in width at the rotor mounting surface 6+ millimeters. So there's a quarter of an inch difference in the hub widths between old and new, as well as of course the rotor mounting bolt spacing.