CBR1100XX.org Forum

Lithium Battery Charging

rockmeupto125

I have a couple Lithium Phosphate motorocycle batteries. As I understand, a standard battery charger is adequate to put a basic charge in these....after all, a motorcycle charging system is pretty inelegant, and that maintains them just fine.

But I'd like to be able to top them up in case I use them for other purposes, such as portable lighting, using them as a jump starter or winter booster, etc, and would like to do it with more finesse than a harbor fright charger.

There are digital chargers for RC LiPo batteries out there that don't cost an arm and a leg, and can charge 10-20 volts. Any reason not to use one of these more reasonably priced chargers?

I have not dug into all the detials of what is the best and why, as far as charging the Lithium Batteries.

I guess I should... considering I have one in my bike. Although, I'm currently not that worried about it, because if I remember correctly, when I bought the battery, I thought I read that it really needed a chargeing system that put out high 14V numbers, and I think the SuperSmart battery chargers from Deltron do this. Since I already have one of those... I didn't dig anymore.

I've read a bunch of stuff about lead acid battery chargers, like high frequency and de-sulfation stuff.

I don't know why the RC chargers would not work, but then again I'm not sure they would be the best either.

I just read this...

In general Lithium Iron batteries will last longer if they are stored at a lower charge percentage. A fully charged Lithium Iron battery will have a higher internal temperature which is above recommended storage temperature and could affect the lifespan of the battery.

Here... http://www.atbatt.com/motorcycle-batteries/how-to-charge-a-lithium-phosphate-motorcycle-battery

Interesting.

Different spec's for different types of batteries

Lithium Polymer (Lipo) I run in my RC Slash truck

Lithium Iron Phosphate, I currently run in my BlackBird

I use a Thunder AC6 balanced charger for my LiPo batteries

I use a Optimate model TM291 for my Lithium Iron Phosphate battery

My understanding is that most all of the Lithium battery variations require a balanced charging system to keep them healthy verses straight charging for lead acid batteries. My Lipo charger has an option for different Lithium types so should work on the Lithium iron as well.

My RC charger cost me $65.00 and my Bird charger cost me $100.00

• Upvote 1

heres the solution... buy a smart charger. Lipoly, Life4, Sla, Agm, nicad etc. . . all have different characteristics. I bought my charger from hobbytown and it charges everything i own regardless of type. The only issue is lead acid and those tend to not change in voltage enough for proper off cycle, So i use a $10 float for the bikes in winter. Anyhow, i digress.. I had a battery (lipo i think) for my bike. From what i know of these types, they are a tad more at risk of sudden failure and fire. No big deal unless its sitting under my nuts with a gas tank between. So now my lipos are for ac planes only. I forget to turn them off and next day, i have a swollen battery that is useless. So my point... if you are willing to stray from proven SLA technology, and willing to invest in expensive batteries, spend $40-60 on a charger that is capable of smartly charging and monitoring temps of all types. We all know that batteries are going to be around forever.... Treating a lipo like a lead battery will not yeild good results. Google lipo battery fire if youre bored...

post-3948-0-92777600-1429428068_thumb.jp

Edited by Hooplehead

There is a huge difference though between LiPo and LiFEPo4 batteries.

I use Life batteries for my musical gear.. safer they say, but more expensive.. They still swell like my Lipo's when drained too far or overcharged tho... I LUV batteries...

Edited by Hooplehead

The bike battery has no requirement for a special charger, altho a specialized one may be better for it. I'm not sure if it's just the battery type that makes it immune to some of the other lithium battery sensitivities or maybe there's some circuitry built into them, but they won't explode or catch fire like a LiPo battery will from random charging/discharging as long as you stay within their voltage & amperage limits. Bikes don't have a lithium setting and the batteries life long and happy, BUT, they're performing an entirely different task than you're planning so that should be taken into consideration. My understanding is that some lithium batteries can be quickly killed if discharged beyond a certain point, not sure if this applies to the bike battery technology.