CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cooling Fan Switch

XXBIRD

I've been having an issue with the fan not kicking in when it was needed. Figured it was the sensor which triggers the relay to turn the fan on. I bypassed it with a swtich to turn onthe fan when the remp goes over 190F while waiting for the replacement fan sensor. I've installed the new one but now as soon as I turn the ingintion on, the display shows 270F blinking but does not turn on the fan. If I unplug the cable and turn the ingnition on, fan runs right away. Confused to say the least... Any ideas? Yes, I know, tires are cupped.

My so-far universal experience with motorcycle cooling fans is that once they bugger up, they never seem to work right again.

I contend it's the mono-wire setup which relies on a good ground inside the radiator to close the circuit and turn on the fan. Every bike has gone to a manual switch in due time. I can't explain why the sensor failure = never working again unless the sensor really didn't fail and its something inside the radiator that changes and keeps the sensor from working properly.

How do you make this shit up? Sensor is not "in the radiator", not even close to the radiator. "Mono-wire" set up? Instead of stereo? Yes, something inside the radiator has changed. The water got stale. Is there anything you don't know everything about? Thank you for your insight and please go away and don't pollute the thread, okay!

Unfortunately, he's actually partially correct here. On my 97 and 2000, I installed a switch to turn on my fan at will. There's a thermo switch in the side of the radiator for the 2000 and older Birds which completes ground when temp reaches whatever preset it is and turns the fan on (hot lead already supplied to fan motor on a separate line). I tapped into that line and complete the ground with my manual switch (thermo switch still works too). My wife's 2001 does not have that same thermo switch in the side and the microfiche confirms different part numbers for older vs newer rads. I gather since you have actual temp readouts, you have a 2001 or newer with digital dash and sensor/switch set-up will be different than the older ones - which I must also assume Zero has or he really is talking out of his ass.

How do you make this shit up? Sensor is not "in the radiator", not even close to the radiator. "Mono-wire" set up? Instead of stereo? Yes, something inside the radiator has changed. The water got stale. Is there anything you don't know everything about? Thank you for your insight and please go away and don't pollute the thread, okay!

Having addressed the issue on more than one motorcycle, I know what I'm talking about.

Don't be a fucktard.

The XX (like many bikes) has the thermo sensor on the radiator. May not be the idea place, but that's what a lot of companies do, and it's single-wire...grounding to the radiator to complete the circuit that tells the fan to turn on and off.

If anything fucks up the ability to close the circuit other than a faulty sensor, you'll never get the fan to work right again until you fix it. I found it faster and easier to just wire in a bypass so I could turn the fan on and off at will.

If the fan switch (on-off) and temperature sensor (variable resistance signal) are of similar construction you may have installed the wrong one or connected to the wrong one, seen it a few times on different vehicles.

25 37750-PC1-004 THERMO UNIT 0 $39.85

50 37870-MAT-E01 SENSOR ASSY. 0 $29.96

These two are listed for the temperature sensor which also trigers the fan relay. http://www.ronayers.com/WATER-PUMP-98-03-C202214.aspx

I have ordered Sensor assy since it appeared the thermo unit is the same thing with the washer.

Then there is this one which I verified that is in working order as per maintenance manual before I figured where the problem was. http://www.ronayers.com/RADIATOR-C202184.aspx

17 37760-MT2-003 SWITCH ASSY., THERMO 0 $38.73

I have installed a new 37870-MAT-E01 near the thermostat under the tank. It dispalys a blinking 270F with it. When I put the old one, it doesn't turn the fan on when the temp goes up. If I jump the fan relay with an on/off switch, the fan comes on. My only option seems to replace it with 37750-PC1-004.

Edited by xxbird

You made a stink about not having a sensor in or anywhere near the radiator then posted the parts link showing the sensor in the radiator and stated that you tested it...?? I'm pretty sure the one in the radiator triggers the fan, I know it does on the early model. The other two are: one for the gauge, and the other not sure but guessing the computer or maybe a secondary fan switch. The blinking gauge with the new sensor indicates you probably installed the wrong sensor.

At what temperature are you expecting the fan to come on?

Zero.........here are front and rear pics of a later model radiator. There is no thermal sensor port. Your bike, my white bike, and older birds do have the sensor in the radiator.

IMG_20140901_173458_557.jpg IMG_20140901_173526_169.jpg

That's fine. I was stating my experience with fan switch sensors. If the OP's bike is different, that's no reason to throw insults.

That's fine. I was stating my experience with fan switch sensors. If the OP's bike is different, that's no reason to throw insults.

Then why are you doing so?

The OP thanked you for attempting to assist, then asked that you refrain from posting after you demonstrated you didn't have an understanding of his particular situation. It appeared you were basing your response on a different system with which you have experience ....and doesn't help the OP one iota.

Then you intimated he is a fucktard.

Do you read any of this, or just scan and postbomb?

Then why are you doing so?

The OP thanked you for attempting to assist, then asked that you refrain from posting after you demonstrated you didn't have an understanding of his particular situation. It appeared you were basing your response on a different system with which you have experience ....and doesn't help the OP one iota.

Then you intimated he is a fucktard.

Do you read any of this, or just scan and postbomb?

"How do you make this shit up?"

Implies that I know nothing and am pulling technical knowledge out of my asshole.

"Is there anything you don't know everything about? Thank you for your insight and please go away and don't pollute the thread, okay!"

Wrapping a "thank you" inside an insult isn't thanking someone.

If you read the OP, he doesn't specify his bike (so I presume XX) and he says nothing about his setup (so I presume they are identical across model years).

Insulting someone who offered help that doesn't perfectly apply to the situation is pretty much being a fucktard in my book. It's like calling someone an asshole for holding a door open for you.