CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best way to make a boot stay in place?

Zero Knievel

My speedometer keeps dropping off. One time, my fuel gauge did the same thing. Both of these run through the blue connector to the instrument cluster.

I pulled things apart and all I found was that the boot (far side of pic) was off. The connectors clip in, so it wasn't a loose wire, but perhaps something was blowing in that would temporarily short out connections. Otherwise, I saw nothing wrong. Cleaned things up and decided to try a little rubber cement on the boot to make it stay on. I'm letting it sit now to see how strong it bonds, but I don't know of what else would work to ensure these puppies don't come loose.

Any ideas?

post-3006-0-05964300-1431796043_thumb.jp

If there was no damage or corrosion on the contacts then it's very unlikely that the boot slipping had anything to do with the problem. If water had gotten in there should be evidence of it. Rubber cement will probably work or just some tape behind it so it can't slide down the harness.

Use some safety wire, twist it really tight and connect the ends to a power supply

Straight to the stator to get some real volts in there.

Well, I let it set for a couple of hours. Rubber cement has them on good and tight. I should not have any problems with them coming off from vibration.

I hope the problem is solved. There really is no common wiring between the two items that malfunctioned except perhaps something shorting the ground terminal. I don't want to cut open wire bundles to check the runs. I already checked the signal end and saw nothing wrong.

If there was no damage or corrosion on the contacts then it's very unlikely that the boot slipping had anything to do with the problem. If water had gotten in there should be evidence of it. Rubber cement will probably work or just some tape behind it so it can't slide down the harness.

This ^

Use some safety wire, twist it really tight and connect the ends to a power supply

Only connect to your stator if you disconnect the regulator and allow the dash do the regulating for the power coming off.

Slipping boot problem solved. Woohoo

Only connect to your stator if you disconnect the regulator and allow the dash do the regulating for the power coming off.

Slipping boot problem solved. Woohoo

Connect to the safety wired grips and you'll give no fucks what your speed or fuel level is; which already don't matter for non-pussies.

well he does have heated grips on his XX, while he did use the wrong adhesive allowing for his throttle to spin freely on a warm day in WV a few yrs ago. I am certain that has been solved.

When is the next meet you are going too mike?

we will help you :D

well he does have heated grips on his XX, while he did use the wrong adhesive allowing for his throttle to spin freely on a warm day in WV a few yrs ago. I am certain that has been solved.

When is the next meet you are going too mike?

we will help you :D

Actually, I used the right stuff, it just didn't hold. I either didn't use enough or didn't completely clean the surface(s) before gluing.

Planning on NEXXT.

Could add a zip tie on the harness to keep the boot from slipping without gluing it.

I thought of that, and it MIGHT work, but there's damn little room to work a zip tie into place and lock it down. The rubber cement works if you leave it alone for a couple of hours to set up real good.