CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oil ?

N1K

Do you put it on the centerstand?  or side stand to check the oil?

And then do you thread the dipstick all the way in? Or just put it in until it makes contact without threading it?

Thanks!

N1K

Edited by N1K

Check-oil-level

Speech to text.

"Oil level inspection. Start the engine and let it idle for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the engine and support the motorcycle in the upright position on level ground.

Remove the oil level dipstick wipe it clean. Reinstall the oil level dipstick do not screw it in.

Remove the oil level dipstick and check the oil level. If the level is below the lower mark on the dipstick fill the crankcase with the recommended oil.

Remove the oil filler cap. Fill the recommended engine oil up to the upper level mark.

Recommended engine oil Honda GN4 4-stroke oil or equivalent motor oil API service classification SF or SG viscosity 10 W - 40

20210716_003350.jpg

Edited by XXitanium
I'm a dipstick?

As posted..........bike level, dipstick not screwed in.

Oil leaks on the left side of the bike are that would spray to your shoe are usually a stator cover leak, either from the cover itself or from the grommet where the wires pass through, or from the shift shaft seal.

Clean everything and then check it every time you ride to pinpoint the spot.  If you can't find it, there are UV dies you can put in the oil to find the culprit.

• Upvote 1

The areas with the red arrows appear to be fairly dry and crusty, probably accumulation from chain lube fling.  If it's wet then maybe it's a leak.  When looking for the source of a leak the cleanest wet part is usually the culprit.  With a leak big enough to wet a shoe it "should" be fairly easy to find the source.

My SuperHawk sometimes dribbled coolant from the water pump hole and at the end of a ride it would look like I had oil on my boot.  Just saying that you should check for coolant leaks just in case.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:08 AM, superhawk996 said:

The areas with the red arrows appear to be fairly dry and crusty, probably accumulation from chain lube fling.  If it's wet then maybe it's a leak.  When looking for the source of a leak the cleanest wet part is usually the culprit.  With a leak big enough to wet a shoe it "should" be fairly easy to find the source.

My SuperHawk sometimes dribbled coolant from the water pump hole and at the end of a ride it would look like I had oil on my boot.  Just saying that you should check for coolant leaks just in case.

Is the front sprocket exposed enough to fling chain wax up there?  I have had to ride on wet roads a few times in the past week and maybe the excess chain lube + a little moisture from the road is enough to release some of that.

Edited by N1K

1 minute ago, N1K said:

Yeah, it seems so widespread up there and in vertical places that seem odd to have an engine oil leak go there.

Is the front sprocket exposed enough to fling chain wax up there?  I have had to ride on wet roads a few times in the past week and maybe the excess chain lube + a little moisture from the road is enough to release some of that.

I don't know that it actually gets flung directly up into there, guessing the air movement sucks/blows it into that area.  Was the oil on the shoe somewhat concentrated or was it just speckled all around?

Here's an old trick to hunt down hidden leaks & seepage when nothing else has worked. It works best with the bike on its centerstand or otherwise held/propped upright.

Thoroughly clean the suspected area (think Gunk, steam, etc.) and let dry completely (warm-air hair dryer can speed the process).

Once dry, sprinkle or blow some very fine talcum powder (baby powder, etc. - do not use flour) over the suspected area. What you want is a fine white powder that adheres to the dry surface and will readily show any oil leakage.

Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temps. (Now you know why you don't use flour - you're not baking.)

While idling normally, check the powdered region for oil leaks/seepage (light source & small mirror may help).

If no leaks/seepage are evident at an idle, rev the engine a few times into its mid-range (increasing  oil pressure), and check the powdered region again.

Still nothing? Okay, shut the engine down, and let it cool completely (a few hours if necessary). Once cool, check the powdered region again.

If a gasket or seal is marginally compromised, a corresponding leak/seepage sometimes won't show up until the engine has been heat-cycled and allowed to cool.

If no leak or seepage is detected in the areas you suspected, reassess other potential areas and repeat the test.

Keep in mind that not all fluid leaks are oil. Scrutinize the other potential sources (hydraulic fluid, coolant, etc.), especially when errant fluids are detected in unexpected spot after a ride - a moving air stream will always complicate the issue.

Be patient and logical.  Best of luck.

On 7/16/2021 at 1:11 PM, XXitanium said:

Still the XX? How many miles in it now? 

I think I put like 25-30 on it the first 5 years...  and about the same the last 14

I think NeXXt 2006 was probably the last time I put more than 100 miles on in a day...

On 7/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, poida said:

check it's not leaking from the seal at the gear shift shaft/easy job to replace it if it's leaking from there

Good idea...  Its right around that area...

• N1K changed the title to Oil ?