CBR1100XX.org Forum

Mint 2001 Blackbird/No Start

singram

Thanks for the replies guys, all good stuff to have a look at. The wife and I got it plated and legal this morning and took it out for a good 80 mile ride out in the country.  Suffice it to say that I believe all is good fuel related😀  The temps(in my opinion) reached dangerously high creeping thru the touristy 'burbs- 245 at one point, but I cant fault her, air temp today reached like 105. 

2-up on the Blackbird is everything I imagined it would be. The wife also highly approves!😁

• Upvote 1

GREAT!

This bike runs hot, but it's not really a problem.  I live in Phoenix and I've been stuck in traffic in summer, the bike dealt with it better than I did.

The Corbin Gunfighter and Lady really tunes up the passenger comfort.

6 hours ago, SwampNut said:

Remember back when Star Tron had a testimonial claiming that a guy's speed got higher at the same RPM?  LOL!

I've seen Lucas work to free up one stick injector, in something like ten minutes of driving.

I was a strong proponent of Startron, but after rethinking it some of what I attributed to ST might have actually been an effect of E-10 introduction/transition.

11 hours ago, RXX said:

I typically buy a couple cans of SF and run through them on the first few tanks on really long rides. 

My current fuel pump (on Mike'sold bike) has around 65,000 miles on it. My original bird is 82K and I believe it is time.

Do you mean fuel FILTER?  I never replaced the pump.

9 hours ago, SwampNut said:

This bike runs hot, but it's not really a problem.

If you ever get an overheat/boil over situation, most likely culprits will be bad radiator cap or failed thermostat.  I suffered overheat issues for a couple years (long story), and it ultimately was just a failed thermostat not regulating coolant temperatures.  Once it was replaced and I went with Evans coolant, the system worked as designed.

8 hours ago, Zero Knievel said:

Do you mean fuel FILTER?  I never replaced the pump.

If you ever get an overheat/boil over situation, most likely culprits will be bad radiator cap or failed thermostat.  I suffered overheat issues for a couple years (long story), and it ultimately was just a failed thermostat not regulating coolant temperatures.  Once it was replaced and I went with Evans coolant, the system worked as designed.

I'm currently battling the same issue with an '02 CBR F4i. Coolant has been flushed and burped to death, radiator cap replaced(Stant aftermarket from Autozone, but still rated at the recommended 17psi),the pump is circulating and not leaking, the thermo has been replaced, the fan spins. The temp just steadily rises and rises when sitting or under 50mph cruising. Temps start to drop at highway speeds, but its really nerve wracking otherwise. The radiator looks like shit, but not much worse than alot of bikes I see on the road. I keep my I open for a nice OEM radiator off ebay, so for now its a cold weather only bike. Funny, I scored a decent radiator/fan/switch/cap assm for sale a couple months ago. Prior to the dipshit seller shrink wrapping it to ship, one of the mounting grommets came off and pressed against the fins of the radiator creating a nice round hole in an otherwise very decent radiator- it was shot.

I would not bother with 15-20 years old oem rad off eBay. There are good new aftermarket units for less then 100 bucks.

Edited by tomek

2 hours ago, singram said:

I'm currently battling the same issue with an '02 CBR F4i. Coolant has been flushed and burped to death, radiator cap replaced(Stant aftermarket from Autozone, but still rated at the recommended 17psi),the pump is circulating and not leaking, the thermo has been replaced, the fan spins. The temp just steadily rises and rises when sitting or under 50mph cruising. Temps start to drop at highway speeds, but its really nerve wracking otherwise. The radiator looks like shit, but not much worse than alot of bikes I see on the road. I keep my I open for a nice OEM radiator off ebay, so for now its a cold weather only bike. Funny, I scored a decent radiator/fan/switch/cap assm for sale a couple months ago. Prior to the dipshit seller shrink wrapping it to ship, one of the mounting grommets came off and pressed against the fins of the radiator creating a nice round hole in an otherwise very decent radiator- it was shot.

Does the temp go above normal for that specific bike, and have you verified the temp to know it's not just a lying sensor/gauge?  Verified that the cap holds pressure when installed on the radiator?  Tried blasting out the radiator in case it's got shit built up in it?

The damaged radiator might be salvageable, possibly very cheaply, if you still have it.

3 hours ago, singram said:

I'm currently battling the same issue with an '02 CBR F4i.

1.  Bike may run hot normally.  Fan kicks in right before it gets into the red zone and keeps it there.  All you can do is see what it does parked at idle.  If it doesn’t boil over, it’s just meant to run hot.

2.  You could wire in a fan bypass switch to manually turn on the fan when you wish.  That’s how I managed for several years.

Yeah, the F4i did in fact reach spec overheat temp of 251, FI light flash and engine shut off once, so legit is overheating.  I did the whole wire fan to run constantly thing, but the fan isn't the issue. I'm almost 100% confident the issue lies within the radiator core itself- why, I dont know.  I tried ordering a Chinese knock-off radiator supposedly rated for an F4i.  It turned out to be absolutely incompatible, which sort of burnt me on going for anything else outside OEM. 

Now having 3 bikes, this isnt a priority issue- just enough of an issue to drive me up the wall. It has about 55k on it, but is insanely smooth and reliable otherwise, like I'd imagine it would be brand new. I'd love to get the temp issue sorted to justify new plastics and reserrect it.  I may end up just making it a trackbike, dont know..   

4 hours ago, singram said:

Yeah, the F4i did in fact reach spec overheat temp of 251, FI light flash and engine shut off once, so legit is overheating.  I did the whole wire fan to run constantly thing, but the fan isn't the issue. I'm almost 100% confident the issue lies within the radiator core itself- why, I dont know.  I tried ordering a Chinese knock-off radiator supposedly rated for an F4i.  It turned out to be absolutely incompatible, which sort of burnt me on going for anything else outside OEM. 

The sensor could be lying, that's why I asked about verifying the temp.  I use an infrared thermometer and check at and around the sensor.  If it has separate sensors for the gauge and computer then it's likely to actually be overheating.  Also look for premature venting of coolant or air to the bottle and feel the hoses to be sure it's pressurizing.

56 minutes ago, superhawk996 said:

The sensor could be lying, that's why I asked about verifying the temp.  I use an infrared thermometer and check at and around the sensor.  If it has separate sensors for the gauge and computer then it's likely to actually be overheating.  Also look for premature venting of coolant or air to the bottle and feel the hoses to be sure it's pressurizing.

All good things to look at, will do

• 2 weeks later...

Bonus question- So I'll be trading my Givi touring windscreen with XXitanium for his OEM Honda one. I removed the windscreen and found this wadded up between the windscreen and rear of cluster. Anyone know WTH its purpose is?  I assume its intended purpose is to wrap around and weather protect the 2 harness connectors in my pic? I cant locate it anywhere in the parts fiche

whatisthis.jpg