CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ram air duct removal?

silverbird1100

The carb ones clearly must run hotter since they draw in hot intake air, and every Professional®™ knows that's the key to engine operation.  In fact, not sure why any carbed XXs are even still running at all.

On 6/1/2021 at 12:57 PM, blackhawkxx said:

The carb Bird also had a larger radiator. 

Makes sense that they'd need it since they're so much more powerful than them weak ass fuel infected ones.

What I seem to recall is that they're the same size but mounted a little differently.  I'm guessing someone else will know for sure.

5 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Makes sense that they'd need it since they're so much more powerful than them weak ass fuel infected ones.

What I seem to recall is that they're the same size but mounted a little differently.  I'm guessing someone else will know for sure.

I'm pretty sure that I read it somewhere but can't put my finger on it now. I did find that they changed something in the thermostat housing for 98 and they removed 2 clutch plates for 99.

Thermostat and housing both changed.  Two fewer plates and a device to reduce/eliminate the clunk when shifting into gear from neutral, don't recall the official name of it.

10 hours ago, superhawk996 said:

Fill-Bait-Up-Live-Bait-Containers-1.jpg

The clunk on an old slow carb bird must be ludicrous, because it's annoying as fuck in the one with the anti-clunk.  One of the things I noticed when I rode mine to the buyer's place, because I'd ridden the KTM the day before and its transmission is so much smoother.

1 hour ago, SwampNut said:

Fill-Bait-Up-Live-Bait-Containers-1.jpg

The clunk on an old slow carb bird must be ludicrous, because it's annoying as fuck in the one with the anti-clunk.  One of the things I noticed when I rode mine to the buyer's place, because I'd ridden the KTM the day before and its transmission is so much smoother.

That bike was more clunky than it should have been, my guess is that the clutch brake thing, whatever it's called, had worn out.  I remember on your 2000 if the clutch was held more than a second or so the clutch would completely stop and sometimes wouldn't go into gear, like when the engine is off.

My '97 was very clunky on Rotella, a little less on bike specific oil, and pretty decent on the current super special race oil.  The shifts are amazingly smooth, like it just wants to be in the next gear.