CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dirt and moisture over the engine

jaymeferreyra

On the left side of the tank, is there a breather pipe or something that can cause dirt stick over the engine?

My cbr1100xx has the top of the engine on the left side completely dirty and moisture.

A friend's cbr1100xx looks exactly the same ...

Thanks

IMG_20210403_124448.jpg

IMG_20210403_124207.jpg

Edited by jaymeferreyra

That second photo looks like maybe a oil leak and the road dirt/grime has stuck to it?  Dirt and junk does build up on the engine and being how your friend's looks the same may tell you that the dirt isn't anything unusual.

43 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

That second photo looks like maybe a oil leak and the road dirt/grime has stuck to it?  Dirt and junk does build up on the engine and being how your friend's looks the same may tell you that the dirt isn't anything unusual.

My friend's XX have exactly the same aspect... Some dirt and moisture 

• jaymeferreyra changed the title to Dirt and moisture over the engine
30 minutes ago, blackhawkxx said:

What year is your Bird?  The only way to know for sure if a hose is off is to look and see.  If you are going to change the spark plugs or air filter, that would be a good time to check things out.  

2001 with 45.000 kms

I have KN filter, can be some moisture from KN filter?

Thanks for your help 

Edited by jaymeferreyra

5 hours ago, jaymeferreyra said:

I have KN filter, can be some moisture from KN filter?

No. I have a K&N in mine.  You just have to get in there and look.  You could try to clean things up and then watch for where the wetness is coming from.

If the airbox has a drain, many vehicles do, it could be coming from that.  I can't remember what they're called, but it looks kinda like a hose with the end smashed flat and acts as a check valve.  Duckbill?  If oil from the crank case vent accumulates enough and/or the K&N is oiled heavily enough the oil could drip out of the drain.

Excess oil from the chain can get slung up there along with the aforementioned road grime. Installing a rear hugger will help keep this area and the rear shock clean and help protect the main loom which runs unprotected above the chain, which as we all know is vulnerable to corrosion triggering a service called the "loom fix". 

It's an old bike.  Probably just a minor oil leak from the cap on the upper balance shaft access, or from one of those bolts with the copper washers.  Totally normal for this bike.  If you start seeing puddles of oil, then you need to look into fixing it.